This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Fixed]:Synaptic Stuck

This is not an installation question.  I've had this problem happen before, but I have forgotten how to fix it.   Synaptic is "stuck" 

I have a package - mldonkey-server - that I'm trying to completely remove.  The script always exits with an error message - "No PID found in /var/run/mlnet.pid"  So, okay, I'll start the service manually, then shut it down.  When I open system services, to start the server, I get "mlnetinstall --f invalid option."  There is no mlnetinstall binary or shell script that I can find, and no way to start the server from System Services.   

At this point, I really don't care about removing the server package.  (I've taken the init script out of /etc/init.d so I won't have to fool with this anymore.)  I just want to fix Synaptic.  So, my questions are:

1) Can I somehow remove this server? 
    2) Can I rebuild the package database so that the list of installed files does not include this application?
    3) Can I manually edit the package database to remove this entry? 

TIA

Edit:

I think I've fixed my problem. From a terminal, I ran

Code:
    dpkg --remove --force-all mldonkey-server
    and Synaptic now loads and closes without the annoying error message. I'll worry later about whether there was any harm done from this episode ..

Re: Synaptic Stuck

Have you tried dpkg --purge <package name> to remove the server. If this is causing synaptic to lock up, it might fix that too. If synaptic is still locked, try running dpkg --configure -a in a terminal and post the results.

Josh

Comment

Working...
    X