This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vmware server install issue

I'm trying to install vmware server from tar. I get about 75% installed then get this message "What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
    kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]" I'm at a loss as how to get this done. Help please.
    Thanks Scott

Re: vmware server install issue

Originally posted by Scott
    I'm trying to install vmware server from tar. I get about 75% installed then get this message "What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
    kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]" I'm at a loss as how to get this done. Help please.
    Thanks Scott
    Hi, I'm new
    I have ubuntu, but asap I'd like to get to Kubuntu

Installing vmware (workstation and player, but I think it's the same for vmware server) you have to get the linux (kernel) headers files that match your running kernel. Sincerely I installed vmware on ubuntu and I remeber of this thing to have to get headers. When I installed it in Kubuntu months ago I don't remeber of this headers

Some days ago I've found a forum here in italy. I'll try to translate (sorry for mistakes )

--
    If yoy have kernel 2.6, headers are no more named kernel-headers but linux-headers and to know what to get use command Uname

open another shell

Code:
    # uname -r
    On my ubuntu I got: 2.6.15-26-386

so

Code:
    # apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.15-26-386
    and then reply to the question with

Code:
    /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.15-23-386/include
    Check if kubuntu and ubuntu have the same tree of directory. Perhaps you can get linux headers also from the graphic installer of your distro (Adept? in ubuntu is "Synaptic")

Check also in the forum of vmware, before trust my Newbie-ness
    http://www.vmware.com/community/index.jspa

bye
    Leonardo

Comment

Working...
    X