This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changed User Name, Kubuntu not loading

Hi, I recently changed the user name I was using to something else. I then restarted the computer, and when I try to log in with the new name, it shows a message saying "could not start kconsoleconfig" and never loads the OS. I can however boot into the terminal, but I can't do anything else. I have important files on this computer and was wondering if reinstalling Kubuntu (or Ubuntu) will delete these files, or if there is another way to fix it. Thank you very much for your help.

Re: Changed User Name, Kubuntu not loading

I am sure that someone else has come across this before and you should get an answer soon.

In the meantime, if you can get hold of a knoppix/morphix CD, and you have a CD burner o a USB Key, you should be able to copy your important files, just in case.

Ian

Comment

Hi

If you have your Kubuntu CD and if it is for Live CD you should be able to use it.
      Boot to the Live CD not install at this time. You should be able to find your data/files and burn them to a CD or copy them to a USB drive.

If you are in luck you might be able to rename your account back to the orginal state.

I am new to Kubuntu and do not know all the tricks, but someone out can get you better info how to do it.

Good Luck

Comment

Thank you very much, I didn't think of that but I'll have to try it. I'll let you know if all goes well. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X