X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE Power Saving feature resets

Dapper 6.06.1 KDE 3.5.4 (Desktop PC)

I set my monitor to turn off after 3 hours using:-

System Settings>Display>Power Saving (using Administrator Mode)

Works nicely until I restart KDE for whatever reason and it sets itself back to 30 minutes. Not a major problem, just a minor annoyance.

Has anyone else had this? Or is it just me?

TIA

Lowey
    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Re: KDE Power Saving feature resets

You're not crazy. I've been using Kubuntu for one month, and have had that exact same problem with both KDE 3.5.2 and 3.5.4, and with the nVidia legacy driver as well as the nVidia glx driver. Plus, if I try to change ANYTHING in System Settings>Display, on my next login, my xorg.conf file gets recreated from scratch without the necessary
    option "DPMS"
    line in it that enables power management, which forces me to manually edit it to add that line again. I've searched and searched, but I can't find any discussion of it or solution to it.

Comment

This was I think solved in KDE 3.5.3, IIRC. Why it came back, I'm puzzled as well...
      Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

@Jucato, do you have the problem on your PC? If not, then maybe we could do more detailed comparison of what each of us is running, to try to figure out what's causing the problem for some of us.

Comment

Running Kubuntu 6.06.1 LTS, KDE 3.5.4. I'm currently having that problem of having to turn of Power Saving everytime.

I can't remember which KDE release fixed it, but I'm guessing it's KDE 3.5.3 or KDE 3.5.1, since you say that you have experienced the same thing with KDE 3.5.2.
          Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

Same problem, except I just want to disable it. It enables on restart.

Not a biggie though.

Comment

I had the same problem, I think it was because my xorg.conf file was modified a lot. Fixed it by running:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Now my option="DPMS" line stay put.

Comment

Hi, nejode

Still being very much in the dark as to how a lot of this works, what does that command do?

I am a bit wary of doing things that I don't know how to undo if they don't work.

TIA

Cheers

Lowey
                I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Btw, a Kubuntu dev in IRC said that this is fixed in Edgy. As I don't have an Edgy build on my box, I can't confirm.
                  Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

Thanks for the replies, Jucato (and everone else)

I think I might just wait for the Edgy release. In the meantime, I can try to find a new and exciting way to break my machine on my own.

I don't restart very often and it's not that much trouble to change, for the sake of a couple of months.

Cheers

Lowey

Comment

Lowey23: the first lines of the xorg.conf file read:
                      # This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
                      # if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
                      # package.
                      #
                      # If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
                      # again, run the following command:
                      # sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

That's why I tried it out (after the respective backup!) and found out it worked. Anyhow, if that's not your case, you can always restore your backup.

You can give it a try, and come back and tell us how it went...

Comment

Thanks for the reply, nejode

Tried it with no luck. Worth the try, though. As I said before, it's no big deal, just a little annoyance. I'll just wait for the fix in Edgy, I think.

Cheers

Lowey

Comment

Well lowey, I guess I have the same point of view, I know that those little bugs are not a big deal, but I just don't like those little untied knots in my system...

...hasta la vista...

Comment

I reopened the bug report on http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=128696

Hopefully this bug will go away soon...

Comment

I'm not sure if this is really a solution, but it seems that this problem seems to have vanished when I disabled Power saving as root.

In System Settings > Display > Power Saving tab, I clicked on Administrator Mode and unchecked "Enable power saving". It hasn't reset since then.

Then again, it might just be me.
                              Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

Working...
                              X