X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to install Gnucash 2 in Kubuntu

Hi,

I'm new to Linux.  I would like to install Gnucash 2.x in Kubuntu 6.06 LTS, but so far my Google search didn't lead me to any useful "how to" document.  Can someone help by pointing me to:
    1. List of dependencies needed for successful Gnucash installation (i tried looking for it at gnucash.org, but couldn't find it there ).
    2. Gnucash 2.x binary package (if available) for Kubuntu
    3. "How to document" for installing Gnucash 2.x in Kubuntu 6.06 LTS

Vel

Re: How to install Gnucash 2 in Kubuntu

Hmm...the binary package for gnucash 2.x isn't available in the dapper repositories (only 1.8 is available in dapper universe)

There seems to be gnucash 2.x available for edgy, but the depencies will probably prevent you from installing the edgy version on dapper.

Perhaps someone who has got 2.x on dapper (either by compiling or a third party package) can help you.

Comment

From the Gnucash website
      "To install GnuCash, users will need Gnome 2, guile, slib and g-wrap"

Hope this helps.

Ian

Comment

It is certainly more than what is listed in the Gnucash webpage. Anyway, Suse10.1 and the unstable branch of Debian have the binaries of Gnucash 2.x. The list of dependency is more than 30 files. For the meantime, I am using Debian distro because Gnucash 2.x is already available in its repository. I successfully installed it without any problem using Synaptic package manager.

Comment

I built from source. My approach is always the same ... attempt to build the main package, and figure out what subpackages I need from the error messages (with aid of google).

FWIW, GNUCash's README.dependencies says youll need (and from memory I concur):

aqbanking
          gconf2
          glib2
          gtk+2
          guile
          gwrap
          libart2
          libglade2
          libgnomeprint2.2
          libgnomeui2
          libgsf1
          [lib]gtkhtml3
          libofx
          libxml2
          pango

Comment

Yeah, I agree with you. I did the same thing, except I created many broken packages along the way. After spending more than two hours tinkering with my installation, I felt too much time is spent on installing a single software instead of doing the actual work of recording accounts and transactions into the system. I guess installing from the source is great if we have plenty of free time.

Comment

Well, if you ever want to give it another try post the difficulties here and we should be able to solve them. I remember that the build took a while (what with the number of dependencies) but that it was not especially difficult. GNUCash is worth it anyway. Great software.

Comment

Working...
              X