This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

xorg update fix...thanks!

Just wanted to say thanks to the Kubuntu/Ubuntu guys for getting this fix out in such a timely fashion. Great work and I appreciate it.

For those who still want to find out what to do, this worked for me.

(1) Login on the command line via: Ctrl + Alt +F1
    (do this when the splash screen is the default one and seems to do nothing after booting up.)

(2) sudo apt-get update

(3) sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-core=1:1.0.2-0ubuntu10.4

(4) sudo reboot

Hope that helps anyone out who had the problem. Once again, thanks to the team for getting the update fix (i.e., 1.0.2-0ubunutu10.4) out so quickly to the mirrors.

Cheers,

t.
    GPG Key ID# 0x3AE05130

Re: xorg update fix...thanks!

I am sorry - probably I am not very familiar with the terminology --- but how is this a solution or fix ------- this is merely a downgrade to previous version --

I'd think fixing would mean altering code so that the new version works -- anyway, it does not matter much -- but it would be better to have the good newer version

Comment

There is a 'true' fix. Reinitialize Adept, and install x-serverxxxxxxxxxxx10.4

ensure you install 10.4

Worked for me yesterday, and all is grand in Kubuntudom

Which is what the thread starter stated.

Good job team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 8)

Comment

It's a solution because it solves/fixes a problem, even if it's only temporary.

A fix would be different, as it would usually be a patch or fixed version.

Anyway, the "fix" is already available. A newer version of xserver-xorg-core has already been released (1.0.2-0ubuntu10.4).
        Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Originally posted by Tuhinsr
          I am sorry - probably I am not very familiar with the terminology --- but how is this a solution or fix ------- this is merely a downgrade to previous version --
          That actually is the fixed new version (if you look at the command it installs version 10.4) the buggy version was 10.3

Edit: Or did you mean that 10.4 is actually the same version as the ones previous to 10.3?
          It isn't the same, but one of the patches (the one that caused the problem) was removed until it can be fixed :P (it was necessary to get a fix out as soon as possible for obvious reasons)

Comment

gottcha -- my bad

Comment

Working...
            X