This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unable to install HP4L printer driver

When I did a clean install of Kubuntu 6.06.1 over Kubuntu 6.06, my printer was not automatically installed. I went to "System Settings", clicked on "Printers", and then on "add". The print wizard got as far as giving me a list of printer drivers to select from. I selected one of the drivers and got this message:

"Unable to load the requested driver:
    Unable to create the Foomatic driver [HP-LaserJet_4L,hpijs]. Either that driver does not exist, or you don't have the required permissions to perform that operation."

I tried some of the other drivers on the list with the same result. How can I get my HP Laserjet 4L installed?

Re: unable to install HP4L printer driver

1) Have you installed the appropriate package (HPLIP)?
    2)Did you try to install it in Administrator mode?

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
      1) Have you installed the appropriate package (HPLIP)?
      I think the hpdriver packages are installed by default on kubuntu

2)Did you try to install it in Administrator mode?
      This is probably the cause, click the 'administrator mode' button on the System Settings>Printers module before adding the printer

Comment

I think the hpdriver packages are installed by default on kubuntu
        I honestly can't remember. But it sure doesn't hurt to check, and then install HPLIP, if it's not there.

Comment

I can't really help much, but just yesterday I installed an HP4L network printer in kubuntu. Its hosted on a windows PC and I just typed the path to it and installed it as HP Laserjet 4L lj4L or something. Also tried Laserjet 4 series (sorry, can't remember names now exactly, but it wasn't the one mentioned at the start of this thread) and both worked perfectly. Although one of them had settings and resolutions not possible on the printer.

I suppose its easier because it's network commands and not direct parallel port driver.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check to see if the required package is installed and I'll also try to install the printer in admin mode. When I'm able to get back to my computer, I'll let you know what happens (I am away on business for a day).

Comment

I just checked for "HPLIP" and it is installed. I also tried to install the driver in admin mode but it still gave me the same message. For some reason, the printer installed automatically when I was running Breezy but once I upgraded to Dapper, my problems started. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Comment

I'm baffled. You DO have the required driver and (in Administartor mode) you have the required permissions. There are two other things you can try, but I'm not too confident about either of them because they really repeat things you've already done. (1) remove hplip and install hpijs (without the fancy stuff in hplip), and (2) instead of administrator mode from System Settings use the command "kdesu kprinter" (which is the same thing).

Sorry for the delayed response.

Comment

I tried that and still no go on the printer. I'm not sure what to do at this point since printing is one of those things that I (as well as most people) need on a regular basis. Any other suggestions, anyone?

Comment

There's been a number of posts on various sites about broken print installation functionality with certain makes & models with Kubuntu Dapper.

One possible solution I've heard is to install and run gnome-cups-manager.

Comment

I was not able to get my printer to work and I needed to get some stuff printed, so I decided to take a chance and download and install a different distro to see if I would have the same problem. The distro didn't recognize my printer out of the box but I was able to manually install it using KDEPrint. I plan on waiting for Edgy to see if I can return to Kubuntu because I really like how helpful everyone here seems to be with each other. I know that not all distro forums are the same and that this particular one is really supportive and helpful to newbies like me.I've also been helped out quite a bit on some other installation issues that I've had. Thank you, again, for your suggestions and I hope to be back soon.

Comment

I had the same problem with my HP DeskJet 960C.

The solution is to open the Konsole, then use this command:

sudo foomatic-cleanupdrivers

Then go back and install your printer in administrator mode as you would have otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                        X