This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

xorg core update problem

I installed an xorg core update that Knotify brought to my attention today. Now, I can't even reach the Splash and login screen. Is this because I need to now obtain a recompiled Nvidia driver? I'm used to obtaining it through adept. How can I get it when I can't even load X?

Re: Problem with Nvidia driver

there is a bug in that update.....
    here is the fix.....
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-core=1:1.0.2-0ubuntu10
    that will downgrade it back to before the update and the restart.....
    worked for me.....

Comment

Re: Problem with Nvidia driver

Thanks. The fix worked for me.

Comment

Re: xorg core update problem

Thanks very much for the fix SGYK! I had no idea what the previous version was... so thanks for saving me the guessing!
        Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

This upgrade broke my X as well - no screens found. Wouldnt even start in vga or vesa mode.

Downgraded via aptitude and all is well.

Considering that the changelog for this update seemed benign, what the hell?

Comment

The release has been fixed. Please see this thread...

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=8126.0

Josh

Comment

For those upgrading to the new xserver-xorg-core, make sure that the version you will be upgrading to is 1.0.2-0ubuntu10.4 (take note of the last number). If they are not yet available, please wait for the servers/mirrors to update.
              Jucato's Data Core

Comment

I had the same problem.

I hate to mention this, but if I didn't dual boot with XP I'd have absolutely no idea about this bug. Here I was just about to give up Windows completely. I thing I'll hold fire on that. Pity.

Comment

Yup, this was a particularly annoying bug, especially as it seemed to affect many if not most systems and setups.

Luckily it was fixed rather quickly.

Though bugs this serious (preventing the GUI to come up normally) are rare, it's always a good idea to have a liveCD on your shelf so you can get to the internet to figure out the cause/solution if something goes wrong. (If you don't have other means of accessing the net)

(Technically you can get online with CLI browsers, but that might be too HC for most users )

Comment

I forgot about live CDs. Perhaps I can get rid of windows after all. Ta.

Comment

Working...
                    X