X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screensaver wont work

Hi
    I have just installed Kubuntu and it is FANTASTIC! But I do have one problem, and that is that the screensaver wont work. I choose the screensaver from the list, (the ones already installed, I am not trying to get something else to work) and I choose the time and click apply. But nothing happens. I can leave it for hours and still nothing. I clicked TEST and it worked fine, but it wont start by itself when the screen is idle. I have tried some Open GL ones and even just the clock.

So, there must be some trick to it. Do I have to install some package or something first? I have done all the updates and have installed Automatix.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Russty

Re: Screensaver wont work

Hi,

It was a bug in kde 3.5.3 but it shouldn't appear anymore, did you upgrade to kde 3.5.4 ?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by sky
      Hi,

It was a bug in kde 3.5.3 but it shouldn't appear anymore, did you upgrade to kde 3.5.4 ?

Cheers
      I don't know! How do I find out which one I am using and how do I upgrade it?

Russty

Comment

Originally posted by Russty1510

I don't know! How do I find out which one I am using and how do I upgrade it?

Russty
        Run 'kcontrol' from a command prompt. That will tell you what version of KDE you are running.

As sky mentions, there is a bug in KDE 3.5.3 which means the screensavesr don't kick in after the specified time. This bug is fixed in KDE 3.5.4. KDE 3.5.4 is available for Kubuntu, see
        http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde-354.php for repos.

Comment

I am having the same problem on all three of my Kubuntu machines. When I run Kcontrol, it says KDE 3.5.2, so do I need to upgrade this? Why does this not get upgraded with all the other updates?

Comment

Originally posted by caulktel
            I am having the same problem on all three of my Kubuntu machines. When I run Kcontrol, it says KDE 3.5.2, so do I need to upgrade this?
            If you want your screensaver to work then yes.
            edit: Then again maybe not. Worth updating though. I don't recall having a problem with the screensaver in 3.5.2. But then 3.5.3 was released very soon after Kubuntu 6.06 was so maybe I didn't run with 3.5.2 long enough to notice a problem.
            Why does this not get upgraded with all the other updates?
            I thin it's because Kubuntu uses the same repos for updates as Ubuntu does and they can't get the new versions of KDE endoresed as offical upates or something. I think I read something like that somewhere. I may be wrong. Packages for 3.5.4 are avilable but you need to add he aforementioned repo.

Comment

Well upgrading KDE to 3.5.4 didn't do anything either. Strange though, after upgrading, kcontrol still shows 3.5.2. Apt showed that 3.5.4 installed correctly. I followed the instructions that were here: http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde-354.php , still no go. I would swear that the startup sound is now different that before, indicating that it had been upgraded.

Comment

Originally posted by caulktel
                Well upgrading KDE to 3.5.4 didn't do anything either. Strange though, after upgrading, kcontrol still shows 3.5.2. Apt showed that 3.5.4 installed correctly. I followed the instructions that were here: http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde-354.php , still no go. I would swear that the startup sound is now different that before, indicating that it had been upgraded.
                I ran kcontrol with the following output:
                ~$ kcontrol
                X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 166
                Major opcode: 144
                Minor opcode: 3
                Resource id: 0x0
                Failed to open device
                Failed to open device
                kio (KSycoca): Trying to open ksycoca from /var/tmp/kdecache-tom/ksycoca
                kcontrol: Found basegroup = Settings/

the screen tells me I'm running 3.5.4, then dumps this to terminal when I close Kcontrol

~$ kparts: KPart::slotWidgetDestroyed(), deleting part unnamed
                kparts: 0x82428e8 emitting activePartChanged (nil)
                kparts: Part::~Part 0x81f3de0

and I can't get any screensavers to work either . . .
                WE&#39;RE ALL BETTER OFF WHEN WE&#39;RE ALL BETTER OFF<br />User # 17645

Comment

yea... i upgraded a while ago and still wasnt able to get them running.

Comment

Originally posted by tom_d
                    I ran kcontrol with the following output:
                    ~$ kcontrol
                    Failed to open device
                    You can get rid of that by editing xorg.cong and commenting out the lines
                    Code:
                      InputDevice   "stylus" "SendCoreEvents"
                      InputDevice   "cursor" "SendCoreEvents"
                      InputDevice   "eraser" "SendCoreEvents"

Comment

I just did the upgrade, (KDE 3.5.4 that is) on another machine in my office, now the screen goes blank at the predetermined time, but doesn't display the screensaver I selected. Oh well, at least I'm not frying my screen. On another note,
                      the power saving function doesn't work either. I enable it as root, but it never turns the monitor off, and the next time I check the settings it's turned back off. None of this is show stopper stuff, but I hope it gets figured out soon. I wish I was smart enough to do it.

Comment

Working...
                      X