This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Find Files/Folders" problem

So, I have never had any problems with this before, but all of a sudden, I try searching for a file and I get the following message: "Could not find mime type application/octet-stream".
    I get it over and over and over again (it was continuing to open and had already opened about 130 instances of the same message in a row before I decided to just ctrl+alt+backspace and hope it would stop for the time being).
    As I said, this has never been a problem in the past. The only thing I did that seems relevant to this was right before this, I had installed CBR Pager and when it wasn't associated automatically with the filetypes I needed it to be associated with, I tried to manually change it via (in Konqueror) settings > configure Konqueror > file associations.

I did a search and couldn't find anything specific to this problem. The message I got seems to be much more broad than the problem I'm having.
    Any help is appreciated as I need to be able to search for things

Re: "Find Files/Folders" problem

In configure Konqueror>File Associations, find "octet-stream" under "known types">application. Make sure that the description on the general tab says "unknown" and that there are no applications listed. Under the embedding tab, make sure the radio button for "use settings for application group is clicked and that "ask whether to save to disk" is checked. Hopefully, those settings were wrong so that correcting them will fix your problem. Otherwise, I'm clueless at this point.

Comment

Okay, I did what you said and under file associations, i didn't see anything at all that said octet-stream and that includes a manual search via me browsing the categories and using the "find" feature in the file-associations menu. I am a bit confused as to whether I'm just not seeing it, or if it's actually not there.

Comment

It should be between "msword" and "ogg" in the "application" category. If it's not, add it, with the entries as described in my earlier post.

Comment

Wow thanks you fixed it! I really appreciate that. I wonder how it got removed/wasn't present. Thanks a ton!

Comment

Working...
          X