Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am running Skype v1.2.0.18_API [it says that this is the "latest" version] under Dapper Drake. I am running it on a Pentium 4, 2.53Mhz, with 1Gb memory. The sound system works fine: XMMS and Kaffeine both work great.

Here is the problem I'm encountering: On Skype, I can test the system with "Echo / Sound Test Service" and everything is fine. I can hear the test system, I can record my test message, and I can hear my response. Fine, so far. The "Echo / Sound Test Service" then ends the call. I then try to connect to a "live" contact, but the response comes back "Problem with sound device". The sound system then no longer works with XMMS: it returns a message "Couldn't open audio'.

On the other hand, if I DON'T connect first to the "Echo / Sound Test Service" I can carry on a conversation with a "live" contact, but any subsequent attempts [even to add another person to a conference] results in the message "Problem with sound device". So it appears that Skype is good for one conversation only. Even quitting Skype and restarting it does not clear up the problem.

After I reboot my computer, everything is good-to-go again, with both Skype and XMMS.

My sound is on-board and is AC-97(?) compatible. If someone can tell me the command to run to generate information about my sound system I'll be glad to post it. Or if anyone else has encountered a similar problem with Skype I'd be glad to hear how you worked around it.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Re: Skype

Hi,

The version 1.2 was known to be buggy with sound, I even couldn't speak with it, maybe try the beta version (1.3) on skype website (download the rpm), it's working much better.

Cheers

Comment

Re: Skype

I've found that if you let others end the call all is good
      I have the same problem and sound card.

ASUS M2A-VM HDMI Motherboard<br />AMD Athlon 64 X2Dual Core Processor 5400+<br />Nvidia Geforce 7950 GX2 Graphics<br />500Gb Hard Drive<br />Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy 64 Bit.

Comment

Working...
      X