This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bluetooth phone, kde, bitpim

So, bluetooth in KDE is giving me fits. I had a really hard time getting kdebluetooth to even recognize my phone, and now that it does, I don't know how to point other applications (bitpim) to the resources on the phone that I want to use. Bitpim asks for the com port I wish to use.

So, to see the phone, in Konqueror, I type "bluetooth:/". That's great, cuz then I see "LG VX8100" which is my phone. I then click on it, and the address bar shows "sdp://lg vx8100/" but I can also open it with "sdp://[00:12:56:b8:f9:2b]" since those numbers refer to the phone (address or mac address?). So then, it shows me a couple of audio gateways, a bluetooth modem, and a bluetooth serial port that are available on the device. I want the serial port. I can click on it and successfully "open with bluetooth chat", but how would I point bitpim there? I can't type in "sdp://[00:12:56:b8:f9:2b]" because bitpim complains:

Could not open port: No such file or directory 'sdp://

What do I do?

Re: Bluetooth phone, kde, bitpim

Ok, so I may have answered part of my question. I created a device using "rfcomm bind rfcomm0 00:12:56:b8:f9:2b 16" and that made /dev/rfcomm0. So, my new question is: is the following all I have to add to /etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf?

rfcomm0 {
    bind yes;
    device 00:12:56:b8:f9:2b;
    channel 16;
    comment "LG VX8100";
    }

...in order to get the phone to bind to /dev/rfcomm0 automatically?

Comment

Ok, so I guess that was all I was supposed to add b/c the device automatically binds on startup now. However, sometimes I have to issue 'rfcomm release all && rfcomm bind all' in order to get things to work. Since I am talking to myself, is this a tutorial instead of a thread?

Comment

This is a comment (also have GPRS issue). Not a fix or error.

Hehe I'll make it a thread by saying thank you. I have yet to try this because I have not ever had my GPRS working in linux while windows is so easy. I am not a windows fan btw. I'm trying to get my wifi (infamous ipw2200 WPA2) running, bluetooth GPRS and then kqemu for those odd apps I really need to run and only run in windows. The moment that happens a wipe my windows partition.
        I was extremely surpised at the ease with which my 3D just worked (intel extreme) and I could then install and play penguin planet racer. Woohoo! amaroK is extremely nice, my dell media buttons work with little config change, even a little app via Adept which read my CPU temp. It's all just so beautiful and simple with kubuntu (and I suppose ubuntu). The touchpad driver is nicer than the windows original and my resolution is actually correct. Samba networking to windows PCs is so much faster than in windows.

Anyway, statement away, I'll try this soon. I have a Samsung D500 and Dell Inspiron 6000 woth Toshiba bluetooth module. Bluetooth works for file transfers, serial chat and most of the time I need to press refresh a couple of times to find other devices but it workd. I will report back here.

Comment

Working...
        X