This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

compiz guidance

I've been looking and looking for a good guide on getting compiz to work under Kubuntu, but, oddly enough, the only comprehensive ones I've found are for ATi cards!

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction as far as a guide or howto for getting compiz to work under kubuntu with an nVidia card (7800GT).

Thanks!

Re: compiz guidance

I was able to get Xgl and Compiz running on my Kubuntu Dapper by following the instructions here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=852427

I am running Kubuntu 64bit on an AMD64 with a Nvidia FX5500 and it works great.  It is a bit slow when using the WATER plugin but I can live without that anyway.

Enjoy!

Comment

Thanks for the link, but after trying that guide, X won't even start; it just freezes at the kubuntu loading screen.

Sigh.

This is literally the fifth guide I have tried, with similar results. I have had to reinstall Kubuntu from scratch five times TODAY because every guide I have tried is just infuriatingly incomplete. They always either skip something or imporperly explain a step or, like the last guide, explain everything perfectly and coherently, except for one little tiny but crucial step that they mention in passing but gloss over all of the details necessary to complete it.

Sorry to vent here, I know everyone's trying to help in here, and I appreciate it. I'm just very frustrated by the lack of a comprehensive howto on the subject.

There are a few more over at www.compiz.net that I haven't yet tried, so after this latest reinstall of Kubuntu, I'll give 'em a shot and let you know how it goes.

If anyone else can point me towards a guide or howto that worked for them, I'd be eternally grateful.

Comment

Got it working!

Jeez, automatix made it easy. All I had to do was "sudo apt-get install automatixbleeder" to get the testing version and check the box for compiz after running it!

Great work from the automatix team. I can't say enough good things.

Comment

Actually, using automatix-bleeder didn't make it for me.

I got compiz and everything installed.

Now kdm offers me a "xgl" sessions, which I can choose and log in to KDE. But then when I want to run "toggle-compis-nvidia", all my window decorations and titlebars disappears, and the desktop becomes pretty much unusable.

Error messages mention another window manager to be already runnin, and and impossibilité to load the message.

Any ideas of what could prevent it to work?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X