Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cant get 5.1 output on kde no matter what i do..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi guys

i have been using linux for half a year now and love it (kubuntu 6.01). The only problem that still really gives me alot of problems is sound, and more specifically 5.1 output and using a microphone. i have a intel p4 with an gigabit motherboard with realtek sound on board. i have a 5.1 system (creative) and no matter what i do icant get 5.1 surround sound to work. everything is hooked up correctly (works perfectly in windows when i boot it up with grub) but in linux nothing, i only get 2.0 sound. i tried everything, configure kmix, amarok etc.. but nothing. another sound problem that may be connected to the last one is that i cant get the microphone to work at all , not in krecord not in skye nada, played of course with kmix etc... have anyone heard of my type of problems? i would really appreciate any help at all as im a pretty new linux user

thx alot in advance

Zeltak

Re: cant get 5.1 output on kde no matter what i do..

I used to have a Creative 5.1 years ago, always had to go into the config file and manually tweak it to work with 5.1. Exactly which card is it: Live, Live OEM, Audiga?

John.

Comment

I am having the same problem with my Sound Blaster Audigy. I came across a page that told to check the alsa version and install latest version if necessary. Here is the page. http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...d.php?t=473216
      I want to try to upgrade the alsa but there isn't anything in adept for the version mentioned on the site. So how would I upgrade also without screwing up my system. If an alsa upgrade isn't an option then what file should I edit to get my surround to work?(referring to the previous post). As you probably have guessed it, I am a noob.
      FKA: tanderson

Comment

I have it working now. Upgrading alsa was the wrong tree to be barking up. My noobness is apparent by the simple fix I found. All I needed to do was run kmix and turn up the volume on each speaker that wasn't working. It just defaulted to having only the 2 stereo speakers working. Alsamixer wasn't showing each separate volume like kmix was. Hope I am saving someone some head aches.
        FKA: tanderson

Comment

Working...
        X