This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apt-Get, DNS, and ADSL

I have seen several posts about a strange "feature" of Kubuntu where Adept and apt-get would frequently fail because they couldn't resolve the addresses of the repositories. Sometimes you just couldn't get apt-get to work at all. I was having this problem and it frustrated me. I had already determined that the problem had something to do with DNS and particularly with DNS using my ADSL connection (I could apt-get with my laptop at home with cable no problem, but from my office with ADSL, no go).
    I think I have finally identified the actual culprit so I would like to identify it in the hopes that someone can figure out if it's a hardware bug or a software bug. The culprit is my Actiontec GT-701-WG ADSL modem/router. All the while I was having my problems, this thing was configured for PPPoA and was being used as a router. For various reasons, I changed it to be a dumb modem with no routing or other capabilities and as soon as I did that, the whole problem stopped. Now I don't have to constantly ping the repositories while running apt-get and everything works fine. If this information helps anyone pin point the bug .. . I mean "feature" .. please reply.

Re: Apt-Get, DNS, and ADSL

I have a very similar setting problem.

What I found is that in the networking settings, the DNS server is set up as my router - 192.169.1.1 - by default.

When I manually change the DNS addresses to the actual numbers for the service provider, everything works fine. 

Comment

Could you explain the last bit for me a little closer.
      I am tearing the last few straws of hair here trying to make apt-get and aptitude to work.
      I have a netgear modem/router and after that a d-link wireless router which works absolutely fine together but when i set the netgear in "modem" status, nothing works.

What DNS adresses have you configured and how?

Thanx

tlindgren

Comment

YES!!!

This solved all my problems, i changed the nameservers in the network settings and now everything works!

Thank You very much

Torbjörn

Comment

Working...
        X