This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

100% cpu adding ubuntu

Tried to add ubuntu-desktop. It seems to have finished but my cpu is running at 100%. Don't know what it has done, or how to stop it.
    Help!!!!! (please)
    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Re: 100% cpu adding ubuntu

Quick and dirty - Identify the process and terminate it kdesu ksysguard go to the process table tab, identify the process and decide if you want to kill it - if you do, click on it and press kill. This will terminate it with extreme prejudice and therefore is capable (depending on the process) of having a rather nasty effect

There are console methods of determining and killing processes by identifying the pid number using the command top and then kill -9 <pid number>

Comment

Thanks, analyticalman

killed oooqs - nothing
      killed PID 13304 updateb - that did it!

I really should learn to take my own advice and not play with things when I've had a couple of beers.

Now to try and get rid of gnome...........

Thanks very much for your help.

Cheers

Lowey
      I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Mucking your computer up after a few beers is just more fun and less guilt (but I prefer to fix them afterwards sober)

If you find a foolproof way of getting rid of gnome then I'd be interested - I keep a whole separate distro just for Gnome!

Comment

I got rid of gnome using aysiu's instructions on the psychocats
          site:-

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index.php

following the instructions for Pure KDE.

It got rid of a few gtk apps that I use, but it is no trouble to put them back (synaptics,firefox etc)
          And yes, I like to repair things sober as well.

Cheers

Lowey

Comment

Working...
          X