This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System Freeze

I get the same SCIM error. My kubuntu install is fresh except I have used easy ubuntu to install the nvidia driver, and installed Krusader and firefox, wine and acdsee2.3 in wine.

Without nvidia's driver, the standard 'nv' driver couldn't drive my gforce4 mmx at any more than 600x480 60hz even though kubuntu recognised the card, so obviously not working properly.
    System setting wouldn't let me change this even though I was logged on as administrator.

When I get the error the system freezes completely, except I can move the mouse. I have to reboot with atl sysrec rsesub.

I have now uninstalled krusader and will try and make it crash.
    Freezes often seem to happen using krusader although the last one was when exiting Kate run as sudo after looking in my xorg.conf. (Krusader was open at the time)
    KDE related ?

I installed synaptic and marked scim for removal.
    It says that it wants to remove the kubuntu-desktop.

You sure this isn't part of standard Kubuntu ?

I may try Ubuntu again but one of the reasons I switched to Kubuntu was incredibly poor performance. I suspect this was also driver related but being a noob am not sure. The slowness seemed to be when drawing a screen (graphics driver probably), like 5 seconds or longer to display a picture in acdsee2.4, in wine, in fullscreen, but also slowness in general. Switching to the nvidia driver fixed this but I am getting the lockups, which seem random, but probably aren't.

So other than lack of, or poor documentation, extreme slowness compared to win98se, cpu thrashing for trivial tasks that shouldn't stress a p100, and random freezes, I really like Ubuntu and Kubuntu.
    Seriously, there is a lot I like about Ubuntu/Kubuntu, or I wouldn't be here. ...and since I have installed unsupported software (easy ubunutu) I can't realy complain. However, without the unupportred software, Ubuntu/Kubuntu is not much of a media player.

I might try a clean install of Ubuntu and easy ubuntu and see if I have problems. Thank god I have a few spare hard drives lying around. This will install number 4.

Re: System Freeze

I'm using xfce now and it seems good.
    Gnome was stable but too slow.
    KDE was slightly better but unstable.

Note this thread was pulled from another thread so look slightly out of place.

Now I'm using xcfe I wont look at this thread again so please dont waste your time looking into it.
    I might try KDE again when a new version comes out.

Comment

Working...
    X