This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use KPPP to connect internet

I cannot get KPPP to allow me to put my user id and password in.

I installed Ubuntu from CD, downloaded KPPP and then downloaded Kubuntu desktop. I have been unable to use KPPP to dial up my connection.

Re: Use KPPP to connect internet

did you set up a modem for kppp?

Also, I am FINALLY dialed up using kppp. Think it is not nearly as good as debian's pon/poff/pppconfig program. I just found the error I had on a ubuntu forum (kppp error) and it turned out I had to modify my /etc/ppp/options file settings form auth to noauth. Finally, kppp could pass enough commands to pppd to get online. Still, it is odd, it takes 2 to 3 tries for kppp to connect (and this is using a telephone calling card with huge delays) where pon connects first time every time.

Wish kppp folks could get the program working a little better

Anyway, I really hope some of this helps you. If not, post back and I'll try to help you further.

best regards.
    --<br />wishing you well

Comment

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm a complete newb, I should have mentioned that. I can connect the internet through whatever the networking programs is in Ubuntu, so the modem is working OK. I just can't use KPPP to do so. I like KPPP with it's built in stats and it's easier to keep track of the time connected.

Kindest regards and appreciation.

Comment

Hi all,
        my username is Cariboo and I'm new to the Kubuntu Forum. Normally I'm Gnome fan and I just got Ubuntu Edgy and downloaded KDE on it. I want to find out which environment I like best. In session KDE I want to use the KDE programs. I joined the forum because I have a problem with the 'KPPP Internet Dial-Up Tool'---I can't get a connection to the Internet. This is what I did:
        --> Kstart
        ---> Internet
        ----> KPPP Internet Dial-Up Tool
        KPPP window opens. Click Tab: Configure
        click Tab: Accounts and select: New
        'Create new Account' window opens. Select: Manual Setup
        Enter Connection Name: Provider. In my case "Telus"
        Under Phone Number click: Add and enter the phone # to connect to Provider. In my case "359 6530".
        To finish configure click: ok

Select tab: Modems and click: New
        Under Device enter Modem Name.
        In my case "TOPIC SEMICONDUCTOR Corp TP560"
        " " Modem Device.
        In my case "/dev/ttyS2"
        " " Connection Speed. In my case "575600"
        To finish configure click: ok

Back to KPPP window. Enter Login ID. In my case "lunaazul"
        Enter Password. In my case "********"
        Check mark "Show log window"
        click: Connect
        Window 'Connecting to: Telus' opens and says: 'Modem Ready' and 'Initializing Modem', and
        'Login Script Debug Window' opens but stays empty.
        After a few seconds both windows close and nothing happens. What do I do wrong?
        Thanks for any comment, reply or help!

Comment

Hi Cariboo:

It "seems to me" that you might not have the correct modem identifier or perhaps modem permissions. It is kind of difficult without any trace info (ppp log).

Is the program talking to the modem (lights blink?)
          also, are you logged into kde as the admin user?

You can try to look at live logs with the use of the Konsole screen. Open Konsole and then start a tail session so you can see what the system is doing "tail -f /var/log/syslog". You can stop the tail command with a control C.

There may also be a ppplog in /var/log directory--I don't have a modem now, so I don't have this log on my system.

Hope some of this may be useful to you.

Good luck
          --<br />wishing you well

Comment

Thank you a_hippie for your fast response!

Originally posted by a_hippie
            Hi Cariboo: It "seems to me" that you might not have the correct modem identifier or perhaps modem permissions.  It is kind of difficult without any trace info (ppp log).Is the program talking to the modem (lights blink?)
            My modem is internal (PCI slot). It works well in WindowsXP and Ubuntu 6.xx (Gnome ppp). Because of the text appearing in the "ConnectingTo: window, yes I think the program is talking to the modem.

also, are you logged into kde as the admin user?
            Yes. I only have one user and that's the user with the su password.

You can try to look at live logs with the use of the Konsole screen.  Open Konsole and then start a tail session so you can see what the system is doing "tail -f /var/log/syslog".  You can stop the tail command with a control C.
            Right now I'm i Ubuntu session. I do this later when I change to KDE session.

There may also be a ppplog in /var/log directory--I don't have a modem now, so I don't have this log on my system. Hope some of this may be useful to you. Good luck
            No, there is no ppplog in /var/log. Anyway thank you again I certainly appreciate your reply and I keep you posted
            Cariboo

Comment

@Cariboo,

In Kubuntu I had to create a resolv.conf file and edit the kppp-options file. To create the resolv.conf file open up a terminal window (Konsole in KDE) and type
              Code:
              sudo touch resolv.conf
              Next enter
              Code:
              sudo nano /etc/ppp/peers/kppp-options
              Delete the # before noauth. "CTRL O" will save your changes and "CTRL X" will exit Nano. That will take care of the second problem. Also you can change kppp-options by navigating to the /etc/ppp/peers/kppp-options file and right clicking and then selecting "Edit As Root."

Good Luck.

Comment

You can try to look at live logs with the use of the Konsole screen. Open Konsole and then start a tail session so you can see what the system is doing "tail -f /var/log/syslog". You can stop the tail command with a control C.
                I tried several times to use ->KStart-->Internet--->KPPP Internet Dial-Up Tool to connect to the Internet.
                Here the result of "tail syslog":
                root@BitByter:/var/log# tail -f /var/log/syslog
                Nov 26 13:27:45 BitByter kernel: [10429.290784] kppp[8554]: segfault at
                Nov 26 13:30:36 BitByter dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8
                Nov 26 13:30:44 BitByter dhclient: No DHCPOFFERS received.
                Nov 26 13:30:44 BitByter dhclient: No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.
                Nov 26 13:31:36 BitByter kernel: [10561.066054] kppp [8570]: segfault at 00007fff54599fd8 rip 00002b5f57a65a71 rsp 00007fff54599fc0 error 6
                Nov 26 13:33:04 BitByter kernel: [10613.007390] kppp[8580]: segfault at 00007fff977b9f18 rip 00002b6114864ab6 rsp 00007fff977b9f00 error 6
                Nov 26 13:34:05 BitByter dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 5
                Nov 26 13:34:53 BitByter kernel: [10677.375495] kppp[8585]: segfault at 00007fff24e0dfa8 rip 00002b3e8644f9e8 rsp 00007fff24e0df90 error 6
                Nov 26 13:34:55 BitByter dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 11
                Nov 26 13:35:06 BitByter dhclient: No DHCPOFFERS received.
                Nov 26 13:35:06 BitByter dhclient: No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.
                Nov 26 13:35:27 BitByter kernel: [10699.220910] kppp[8589]: segfault at 00007fffe49c8dd8 rip 00002b10c7655ab6 rsp 00007fffe49c8dc0 error 6
                Nov 26 13:35:56 BitByter kernel: [10719.390353] kppp[8596]: segfault at 00007fffc7edffb8 rip 00002ac6e337d9e8 rsp 00007fffc7edffa0 error 6
                root@BitByter:/var/log#
                I think this dialog is not working as it should. But I'm not an expert to judge this. Maybe somebody knows what is wrong?

Comment

Thank you drysdale, for the reply. Unfortunately no luck!
                  Originally posted by drysdale
                  @Cariboo,
                  In Kubuntu I had to create a resolv.conf file and edit the kppp-options file. To create the resolv.conf file open up a terminal window (Konsole in KDE) and type
                  Code:
                  sudo touch resolv.conf
                  I didn't have to do that because resolv.conf was created when I configured kppp.
                  Next enter
                  Code:
                  sudo nano /etc/ppp/peers/kppp-options
                  Delete the # before noauth. "CTRL O" will save your changes and "CTRL X" will exit Nano. That will take care of the second problem. Also you can change kppp-options by navigating to the /etc/ppp/peers/kppp-options file and right clicking and then selecting "Edit As Root."
                  This (#) was already deleted in the original file "/etc/ppp/peers/kppp-options". I think on my computer --> Kstart ---> Internet ----> KPPP Internet Dial-Up Tool is just not working as it should; but as I said I'm not an expert! GNOME ppp works excellent!

Comment

This may be a silly question but if you open up the Networking tool where it lists Eth0, Eth1 and Modem is the modem enabled? I think the default set up is for the ethernet connections to be active and enabled and the modem to be disabled. I wish I knew Gnome desktop better. Also are you sure your modem is at /dev/ttsy2?

Comment

This may be a silly question but if you open up the Networking tool where it lists Eth0, Eth1 and Modem is the modem enabled? I think the default set up is for the ethernet connections to be active and enabled and the modem to be disabled.
                      Thank you drysdale for offering help. Yes, Modem is enabled. See screenshot in Attachment.
                      I wish I knew Gnome desktop better. Also are you sure your modem is at /dev/ttsy2?
                      Yes I'm sure. When I do
                      Code:
                      sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
                      I get
                      ttyS2<*1>: Speed 4800: AT -- OK
                      ttyS2<*1>: Speed 9600: AT -- OK
                      ttyS2<*1>: Speed 19200: AT -- OK
                      ttyS2<*1>: Speed 38400: AT -- OK
                      ttyS2<*1>: Speed 57600: AT -- OK
                      ttyS2<*1>: Speed 115200: AT -- OK
                      ttyS2<*1>: Max speed is 115200; that should be safe.
                      ttyS2<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0 -- OK
                      Found a modem on /dev/ttyS2.
                      Modem configuration written to /etc/wvdial.conf.
                      ttyS2<Info>: Speed 115200; init "ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0"
                      karibu@BitByter:~$
                      So I think this ok too! Do you know what the latest stable version of KPPP would be?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X