This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cedega?

I'm confused. I will admit that when I'm on my Windows PC I'm all about the "warez," but Linux is supposed to be all about the FREE community and what not so I'm trying to stick with that. I am entirely new to the linux /kubuntu world and want to run some windows programs.

Using a torrent search engine I found a copy of cedega, is this not open source freeware? Why can I not find any helpful howto's or faq's? Is there a program that's similiar that is freeware? Or can someone here tell me what to do with the copy that I have. Is it useless to me?

Trying to fly right, but the turbulence is bad........

Re: Cedega?

The source code for cedega is free but you have to pay for their sevices if you want a "better" copy.....
    Wine is completely free and works well with a lot of games.....
    That said, if you want to play all of the newest, popular games, keep a windoze partition for all of that.....

Comment

There is an open surce and free alternative to run win programs. Its name is "wine".

Wine is a good choice to use win programs (not all of them but many) under linux boxes. Just install wine and double click to exe files to start using win programs.

Comment

Does wine come with Kubuntu? If not where should i look to get a copy? I suspect installing it is not just a point a click operation, any tips?

Comment

# Bleeding edge wine packages (packages)
          deb http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt dapper main

# Bleeding edge wine packages (sources)
          deb-src http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt dapper main

Comment

Originally posted by warezzippo
            Does wine come with Kubuntu? If not where should i look to get a copy? I suspect installing it is not just a point a click operation, any tips?
            Originally posted by someguyouknow

Copy the above lines into /etc/apt/sources.list by opening sources.list as root

Code:
            sudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list
            Then type in a terminal

Code:
            sudo apt-get update
            Then type

Code:
            sudo apt-get install wine
            Job done.

Comment

Does Wine or Cedega support amd64 platform ?

Comment

Why dont you go to http://www.winehq.org and find out?

Comment

http://wiki.winehq.org/WineOn64bit

Building Wine on Ubuntu / Kubuntu 6.06 (Dapper Drake)

First one must install the necessary libraries: Finding the correct set may take a few minutes and several tries.

configure will find several omissions, but a few will only be noticed by the 'make' steps.

Make sure you have libc6-i386 library installed. It is need to compile 32 bit on a 64 bit operating system.

The following add links, that the library install does not make:

# Do this as *root* by hand, it won't work as a script as written.
                  cd /usr/lib32
                  ln -s libX11.so.6 libX11.so
                  ln -s libXext.so.6 libXext.so
                  ln -s libfreetype.so.6 libfreetype.so

Run configure, build and install with:

LDFLAGS="-L/lib32 -L/usr/lib32 -Wl,-rpath,/lib32 -Wl,-rpath,/usr/lib32" ./configure
                  make depend
                  make all
                  sudo make install

If all needed libraries are present there will be no missing-library warnings or errors anywhere.

wine seems to work (installed in /usr/local)
                  Thanks for the tip (i forgot that their hompage has wiki faq)

Comment

speaking about wine i installed it and it works fine, well almost. when i was running mandriva i was given access to tools to config wine here i cant. (just to make it clear i like this better then mandriva thats why i signed up for the forum) i was wondering if there is something im missing when installing wine or if there are external tools that were made present in mandriva and i have to find them.

furthermore the problem i was having was trying to play star craft i never had a problem with wine playing it before. star craft installs and seems to work more flawlessly then i have ever got it to before expect when i go to actual play start craft it says it cant find a file on the cd. witch leads me to believe maybe it might be in fact some sort of file management problem. ie i have to config the system to show all files or acknowledge all files.

Edit: ok i figured it out reading other posts here in the message board. Now that it comes down to it i need to understand the command line better. is the command line simple memorization or is there a point in ware it truly startes to make more sense other then the obvouse.

Comment

Originally posted by ranunculoid
                      Does wine come with Kubuntu? If not where should i look to get a copy?  I suspect installing it is not just a point a click operation, any tips?
                      Originally posted by someguyouknow

Copy the above lines into /etc/apt/sources.list by opening sources.list as root

Code:
                      sudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list
                      Then type in a terminal

Code:
                      sudo apt-get update
                      Then type

Code:
                      sudo apt-get install wine
                      Job done.
                      Okay I have done this. Everything worked out, no errors, but where is the program? Is it somewhere in the K menu? How do I run a windows app thru it? I feel SOOO noobish......

Comment

on mine, it made its one section for wine which i move. if you set wine as the default action to take when clicking on exe files then all you have to do it click it.

after installing wine, make sure you do the "winecfg" command in konsole.

Comment

Okay I have done this. Everything worked out, no errors, but where is the program? Is it somewhere in the K menu? How do I run a windows app thru it? I feel SOOO noobish......
                          Right click on the exe. Open with. The write "wine" (w/o the quotes) in the box. Then ok.

Comment

Working...
                          X