This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to download 6.06 kernel?

How can I download the Badger 6.06 kernel source for Kubuntu?

Synaptic gives a confusing number of choices.

Would the kernel go in the usual place
    /usr/src/linux ?

Re: How to download 6.06 kernel?

I don't know if your question makes sense. From the ubuntu website:
    The version number comes from the year and month of the release, it really is that simple.

The first release (Warty Warthog) was released in October 2004, release number 4.10.

The second release (Hoary Hedgehog) was released in April 2005, release number 5.04.

The third release (Breezy Badger) was released in October 2005, release number 5.10.

The fourth release (Dapper Drake) was released in June 2006, release number 6.06 LTS
    from: http://www.ubuntu.com/support/faq#he...fe61b322c6b3fd

So do you want the kernel sources from Dapper Drake (6.06) or Breeze Badger (5.10)?

Comment

I'm looking for
      2.6.15-26-386 #1 PREEMPT
      which is what was reported by
      ver -r.

Comment

The package name you are looking for is linux-source. Do a search for that in Synaptic and you should find what you are looking for.

Comment

Thanks roch1182.

That gave me the source files _except_ for the all important .config.

How can I get the .config file so as to see exactly how the kernel was configured? That would be my starting point on a new compile.

Without .config I can't even makeoldconfig.

Larryalk

Comment

Look at this page off the Ubuntu wiki, should give you everything you need to know to compile your own kernel:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelCustomBuild

Comment

rosh1182 I looked at the page you suggested and downloaded the kernel-package it suggests but still have not found the .config file.

> Look at this page off the Ubuntu wiki, should give you everything you > need to know to compile your own kernel:
              > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelCustomBuild

sudo apt-get install linux-kernel-devel fakeroot kernel-wedge kernel-package

I still cannot find the config or .config file which is usually located in /usr/src/linux.

In /usr/src/linux/arch/i386 I find a 'defconfig'. Would that be the config file used to compile the Badger 6.06 kernel?

I really need to view the exact .config file used to compile the Badger 6.06 distribution kernel.

Larry

Comment

From the Ubuntu wiki KernelCustomBuild:

For most people, simply modifying the configs is enough. If you need to install a patch, read the instructions from the patch provider for how to apply.

The stock Ubuntu configs are located in debian/config/ARCH/ where ARCH is the architecture you are building for. In this directory are several files. The config file is the base for all targets in that architecture. Then there are several config.FLAVOUR files that contain options specific to that target. For example, here are the files for 2.6.17, i386:
                So the configs are located in the debian/config/ARCH directory

Comment

rosh1182 I thank you very much for trying to help me but I still cannot find the config files.

I had previously carefully read "https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelCustomBuild" and downloaded
                  sudo apt-get install linux-kernel-devel fakeroot kernel-wedge kernel-package
                  and
                  sudo apt-get install linux-source-2.6.17

quote So the configs are located in the debian/config/ARCH directory
                  The debian/config or debian/arch or config/arch directory is not found on my system, even after re-running updatedb to create a new slocate file. My slocate is case-insensitive.

The only files that references debian under /usr/src are:
                  /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.15/Debian.src.changelog
                  /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.15/README.Debian

I find a "defconfig" file under
                  /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.15/la arch/i386/defconfig
                  but doubt it's the main config file.

Have I missed a vital step or done something dumb again?

Larry

Comment

The wiki is wrong, and I will contact the author about that. In the meantime, I found where the config files are located: in the /boot directory! Just copy whichever config you want into the /usr/src and make menuconfig.

Comment

Thank you very very much for your help rosh1182.

Found two config files in /boot. I know what to do now.

Larry

Comment

Working...
                      X