This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

security software

Hello, this is probably a stupid question, but do I need any type of security software on linux, like a firewall or an antivirus. And if so, what is the best firewall to use?

Re: security software

There are different levels of security, and it depends on what you are doing as to how many precautions you need to take. I'd first suggest running Sheilds Up an online test that will give you a good idea of what sort of risks you are taking at the moment. Post the summary of your results and we can give more consice advice.

There is a firewall built into the Linux Kernel, known as Iptables, but it isn't simple to the uninitiated. There are however a number of tools that make using iptables simpler, one of the most popular ones is Shorewall.
    Something that may not be picked up by the above test is Bittorrent, if you use bittorrent then use a firewall, most of my firewalls work revolves around blocking unsolicited bittorrent traffic.

As for viruses there is clamav antivirus software, and the KDE front end Klamav, fairly simple to use, akin to many MS compatible virus scanners. Mind you, I've been runing clam for 3 ish years and never seen a virus, then again maybe I don't know how to use it properly....

Comment

i ran the shields up before i wrote my first post and it said everything was stealth. The simple probe said that they were able to send packets to my computer but were unable to obtain any information from it. that is why i was wondering if i would need a separate firewall. i downloaded guarddog anyways, will that conflict to the firewall that is built in to the kernal? Should I download a different firewall? I don't use bittorrent, i primarily surf the net and talk in instant messangers.

Comment

Your best bets are to create a really strong, hard-to-guess password and not install software from outside the repositories.
        Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Then I can see no immediate need for a firewall.
          I would suggest something like rkhunter to be run once a week or so, but other than that your sys sounds ok.
          If you do use email then set up Klamav to scan that, mainly so you don't pass on viruses to others.

Comment

Working...
          X