This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gaim or Kopete will not work

Hi All.... I installed Kubuntu and it works perfectly, EXCEPT.... GAIM and Kopete will not connect to my various IM clients. It's weird. The internet is working fine and fast, obviously since I installed Firefox and am writing this using it.

Anyone know why these two mesanger programs won't work? BTW: THey didn't work when I installed Ubuntu either. Any help is appreciated.

Re: Gaim or Kopete will not work

Don't make me go to www.linuxquestions.org for the answer I can't believe I am the only person with this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by surfduke
      I can't believe I am the only person with this problem.
      Perhaps not the only one, but it certainly isn't a common issue

Only thing I can think of quickly is that something is blocking the connection to the servers...have you set up a firewall (either on your machine or a separate hardware firewall)?

Also some companies are blocking IM ports to protect their network, though I haven't heard that any ISPs do that, but I guess it's a possibility

You can check whether connections are established with:
      Code:
      sudo netstat -tuanp | grep kopete

Comment

I can't get Gaim or Kopete to connect. When I first do an install, GAIM will not connect, Then I install Kopete, They both will connect until I reboot, then neither will connect. They'll stay that way forever until I get so damn frustrated I go back to XP pro!!!

Comment

I've been fighting with this for over 2 weeks now. GAIM and Kopete will not connect. Everything else that connects to the internet works perfectly. I really want to use Linux more, but I have got to have GAIM and Citrix work or I cannot make a living.

Please Help!!!

Comment

If you want to use RDP (citrix?) you will need to:

Code:
            sudo apt-get install rdesktop
            I would choose kopete over gaim anyday but try this just to rule out some type of corruption:

Code:
            sudo apt-get remove kopete && sudo apt-get install kopete
            If you could reproduce the error for us and give us a message that it gives you, then I could try to nail it down further.

Comment

Working...
            X