This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KDE 3.5.4

A security policy in place prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient, see message bus configuration file (rejected message had interface "org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume" member "Mount" error name "(unset)" destination "org.freedesktop.Hal")

I get this erro when I try to browse a memory stick or SD card. It get detected fine. It even now knows wich type of card it is and shows a fine icon but that's it

Comment

why does KDE3.5.4 need gnome libraries? I tried to upgrade to KDE3.5.4 and aptitude would list the following as dependencies.

The following NEW packages will be installed:
      gconf2 gconf2-common gnome-mime-data kpilot launchpad-integration
      libavahi-compat-libdnssd1 libavahi-glib1 libbonobo2-0 libbonobo2-common
      libgconf2-4 libglib1.2 libgnome2-0 libgnome2-common libgnomevfs2-0
      libgnomevfs2-common libgnomevfs2-extra libgtk1.2 libgtk1.2-common
      libjasper-runtime liblua50 liblualib50 libmal1 shared-mime-info
      ttf-dustin xmms

I just put my upgrade on hold for this.

Comment

Originally posted by mathiraj
        why does KDE3.5.4 need gnome libraries? I tried to upgrade to KDE3.5.4 and aptitude would list the following as dependencies.

ttf-dustin xmms

Well I'd guess that one of the apps/packages that you have installed is really a gnome one, and the stuff that you have listed is just the dependencies.

Personally, although I have the kubuntu install, some of the app's that I like and that have performed best for me are gnome ones e.g. Soundjuicer for ripping cd's.

Yes I also have just about all of gnome installed as well, though I only actually use KDE for my desktop, it can come in handy if I manage to screw up one of the KDE config files, then I can usually repair it "graphically" from gnome.

If you have the space, why bother holding up the upgrade. Just go for it.

It's worked fine for me this afternoon. Plus after I've finished typing this, I'm gonna go downstairs to get my cig's and I should then see if the damn screensaver really is working again now.

regards

fatbloke
        What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away! Tom Waits.

Comment

Hi I'm trying to upgrade to KDE 3.5.4, and after doing the "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade", and downloading all the packages, I get this message:
          Preconfiguring packages ...
          (Reading database ... 96284 files and directories currently installed.)
          Preparing to replace kdelibs-data 4:3.5.3-0ubuntu0.1 (using .../kdelibs-data_4%3a3.5.4-0ubuntu2~dapper1_all.deb) ...
          Unpacking replacement kdelibs-data ...
          Replacing files in old package kaffeine ...
          dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/kdelibs-data_4%3a3.5.4-0ubuntu2~dapper1_all.deb (--unpack):
          trying to overwrite `/usr/share/mimelnk/application/x-bittorrent.desktop', which is also in package ktorrent
          dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
          Errors were encountered while processing:
          /var/cache/apt/archives/kdelibs-data_4%3a3.5.4-0ubuntu2~dapper1_all.deb
          E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
          reyfer@reyfer-desktop:~$
          So how can I make this upgrade? Thank you

Comment

Hi,

You should be able to get rid of it by this command :
            sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/kdelibs-data /var/cache/apt/archives/kdelibs-data_4%3a3.5.4-0ubuntu2~dapper1_all.deb_4%3a3.5.4-0ubuntu2~dapper1_all.deb

Hope it helps.

Comment

I have a question.

I've updated to KDE 3.5.4, and updated kubuntu-desktop, so it is now saving all my configuration settings.

In fact, the only real problem I'm having is that every time I log in kpersonalizer fires up. Every single time.

How can I make that go away?

Comment

Originally posted by ubersoft
                In fact, the only real problem I'm having is that every time I log in kpersonalizer fires up. Every single time.

Try loging out, login in on a text session (ctrl-alt-f3 at the login window, ctrl-alt-f7 to get back to the login window), and delete the directory ~/.kde/share/config/session/ That'll remove all information about what programs n such you had running when you were last running KDE.
                If you're feeling more adventurous you could try justediting the file ~/.kde/share/config/session/kwin_somelongnumberhere to remove the entries for kpersonalizer

Comment

Well, deleting the contents of the ~/.kde/share/config/session/ didn't work. Upon reboot kpersonalizer pops up before anything else.

I tried editing the file kwin_somelongnumberhere as you suggested, but kpersonalizer wasn't listed in it.

There is an odd thing I've found, though -- in ~/.kde/share/config there is a file named "startupconfig", and in that file is a line that reads

kpersonalizerrc_general_firstlogin="true"

I tried changing it to "false", and when I rebooted, kpersonalizer appeared yet again -- but when I checked the file, I noticed it had been reset to "true". I don't know why...

This never happened until the upgrade to kde 3.5.4. I guess I should consider myself lucky if this is the only problem I'm having, but it's still sort of annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by cexar
                    I've update "i supposse" by adding a new repositorie in etc/apt/sources.list
                    then apt-get update, anda apt-get upgrade.
                    I could view some kde 3.5.4 libraries.
                    but now when i clic on help--about kde
                    it shows me KDE 3.5.2

then..
                    its or not updated ?
                    This is solved by restarting your computer.
                    Ubuntu 11.04, Kubuntu 11.04, and another TBD

Comment

Ah, much better than the last time I tried 3.5.4--most notable changes in Konqueror, where it is much faster, and at shots.osdir.com, everything shows up, instead of garbled code (an experience I've had with Kubuntu). Also, the boxes where you log in your username and password are non-existent.
                      Ubuntu 11.04, Kubuntu 11.04, and another TBD

Comment

Well I'd guess that one of the apps/packages that you have installed is really a gnome one, and the stuff that you have listed is just the dependencies.

Personally, although I have the kubuntu install, some of the app's that I like and that have performed best for me are gnome ones e.g. Soundjuicer for ripping cd's.

Yes I also have just about all of gnome installed as well, though I only actually use KDE for my desktop, it can come in handy if I manage to screw up one of the KDE config files, then I can usually repair it "graphically" from gnome.

If you have the space, why bother holding up the upgrade. Just go for it.

It's worked fine for me this afternoon. Plus after I've finished typing this, I'm gonna go downstairs to get my cig's and I should then see if the damn screensaver really is working again now.

regards

fatbloke
                        I don't have any gnome application on the system. only gtk applications (firefox & thunderbird) and space is a constraint on the system.

Comment

Originally posted by mathiraj

ttf-dustin xmms

After some quick inspection, at least one thing that strikes the eye is that the new kopete package depends on xmms...which in turn depends on libgtk1.2...etc

I don't think xmms is absolutely necessary to run kopete...so I think the dependency should be changed into 'suggests' (or 'recommends')...packages should only depend on packages that are truly vital to them (If someone knows that kopete really should depend on xmms then correct me )

Of course xmms/kopete might not be the only culprit here, closer inspection may reveal more gnome-depencies in the 'dependency tree' :P

Comment

After some quick inspection, at least one thing that strikes the eye is that the new kopete package depends on xmms...which in turn depends on libgtk1.2...etc

I don't think xmms is absolutely necessary to run kopete...so I think the dependency should be changed into 'suggests' (or 'recommends')...packages should only depend on packages that are truly vital to them (If someone knows that kopete really should depend on xmms then correct me )

Of course xmms/kopete might not be the only culprit here, closer inspection may reveal more gnome-depencies in the 'dependency tree' :P
                            Thanks kubicle for the reply. It's also funny that aptitude lists the following packages for dependency

gconf2 gconf2-common gnome-mime-data kpilot launchpad-integration libavahi-compat-libdnssd1 libavahi-glib1 libbonobo2-0 libbonobo2-common libgconf2-4 libglib1.2 libgnome2-0 libgnome2-common libgnomevfs2-0 libgnomevfs2-common libgnomevfs2-extra libgtk1.2 libgtk1.2-common libjasper-runtime libmal1 libmikmod2 shared-mime-info xmms

and apt-get dist-upgrade lists only the following packages as depencies

launchpad-integration libavahi-compat-libdnssd1 libglib1.2 libgtk1.2 libgtk1.2-common libjasper-runtime libmal1 xmms

Comment

Re: KDE Apps with Gnome dependencies

Don't get all 'bent out of shape' if an application you'd like to have is built with GTK (libgtk), Gnome Virtual Filesystem (libgnomevfs2) or etc..

Many excellent KDE programmers, as well as a lot of independent projects such as FIrefox, have chosen to use some Gnome library code because it provides the functionality which they need. (Although, for the case of Firefox file selection pop-up's, I think they're dumbed down too far-- which is a common problem with using Gnome Code: You can't sort a Firefox directory listing by filesize, you can't sort the files by modification time-of-day, and you can't sort them by filetype. Kinda Suckz when the Directory has LOTS of files.)

So these programmers instead of maintaining an absolute "Purity-Of-Only-KDE-Libraries", are just grabbing onto something else which is widely distributed, well supported, and kind of easy to use for whatever they had in mind.

After KDE4 introduces more 'elegant' and complete tools, some programmers might switch to use KDE libraries exclusively. But I think that most will not spend a huge amount of time to re-do something which already works OK, unless they want to modify it to work better, or to be more maintainable, or to add more capability. So we may be loading up those Gnome libraries for a long time....

Comment

Originally posted by ubersoft
                                I have a question.

I've updated to KDE 3.5.4, and updated kubuntu-desktop, so it is now saving all my configuration settings.

I have the same problem and found this @ KDE-Apps. Although it pertains to KDE3.0.2, it may be useful;

To eliminator the wizard from startup every login do the following:
                                Edit the /opt/kde3/bin/startkde file with your favorite editor, and comment out all of the following lines by placing a hash mark (#) in front of each line:

# run KPersonalizer before the session,If this is the first login
                                #grep'FirstLogin=false'$kdehome/share/config/kpersonalizerrc>/dev/null 2>dev/null
                                #If test $? -ne 0: then
                                #start only dcopserver, don't start whole kdeinit (takes too long)
                                #dcopserver
                                #kwin&
                                #kpersonalizer --before-session
                                #handle kpersonalizer restarts (language change)
                                #while test $? -eq 1: do
                                #kpersonalizer --r --before-session
                                #done
                                #dcopserver_shutdown
                                #shutdown will also make kwin quit, give it time to do so
                                #sleep 1
                                #fi

THIS SHOULD TAKE CARE OF YOUR PROBLEM.

The startkde file is actually in /usr/bin/ so if you're feeling brave then give it a go..........and let me know if it works!!

D.

**EDIT** I just tried it and it worked. Comment the following block of text so it looks like this, remembering to make a back up of the original file first!;

# run KPersonalizer before the session, if this is the first login
                                #if test "$kpersonalizerrc_general_firstlogin" = "true"; then
                                if [ ! -x /usr/bin/kpersonalizer ]; then
                                echo 'startkde: kpersonalizer not found! Please install to properly configure your user.' 1>&2
                                else
                                # start only dcopserver, don't start whole kdeinit (takes too long)
                                echo 'startkde: Running kpersonalizer...' 1>&2
                                #dcopserver
                                #kwin --lock &
                                #kpersonalizer --before-session
                                # handle kpersonalizer restarts (language change)
                                #while test $? -eq 1; do
                                #kpersonalizer --r --before-session
                                #done
                                dcopquit kwin
                                #dcopserver_shutdown --wait
                                #fi
                                fi

Comment

Working...
                                X