This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

simple help needed :-)

Hi, i'm loving kubuntu, just a quick question - I have a partition which I would like to store music and other personal files in, just to be seperate from the OS to be on the safe side, how do I mount a partition, where do I access it with read/write access. Thanks in advance, keep up the good work.

Re: simple help needed :-)

You just need to set up a mount point then add an entry in your /etc/fstab file mounting the partition to the mount point.

For instance, I have a seperate partition for just the same reason as you. it is located at /dev/hda5 and is in vfat format so I can share it with my Windows installation as well. I created a folder in my /mnt directory called "shared"

Code:
    sudo mkdr /mnt/shared
    then I added the following line to my fstab file:

Code:
    /dev/hda5 /mnt/shared vfat rw,auto,user,umask=000 0 0
    which mounts the vfat partition /dev/hda5 to mnt/shared with Read\Write access, automatically on each boot and users can mount\umount it. The umask bit is there because it is a vfat partition so if yours is not you don't need that there, otherwise add it so that the permissions translate OK.

When you look at the fstab file you'll get the idea from the other entries already present for your existing partitions.

Once the entry is there is will mount on each boot but if you want to access it straight away just:

Code:
    mount /mnt/shared
    and you should be good to go.

Comment

Working...
    X