This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with new kernel.

Earlier this morning i got my cd's of ubuntu and kubuntu, first i tested ubuntu but when i tested kubuntu i installed it immidiately. I had few problem with apt-get but i solved it, repositories  wheren't activated so i activated them and also added few debian repositories. Then i run upgrade and upgraded like 100 program, libs etc but important is that i updated kernel. Now i got newer kernel and older kernel in my boot but neither of then works. I start kubuntu, everything loads, then blacks screen appears and kubuntu loading screen appears again, but nothing is loading and no text bellow, just blue kubuntu sing and loader. Can somebody please help because i spent like 4-5h adjusting kubuntu for me and i would hate to reinstall it. Please help me...

Re: Problem with new kernel.

Two ideas:

1) Do you have an nVidia or ATI video card?  If so, reinstall the drivers.
    2) Open /boot/grub/menu.lst and find the entry for the kernel you plan to boot from.  It will look something like:
    title           Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.15-23-386
    root            (hd0,5)
    kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-23-386 root=/dev/hdc6 ro quiet splash
    initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.15-23-386
    savedefault
    boot

Change the "kernel" line to:
    kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-23-386 root=/dev/hdc6 ro quiet

I had to remove the "splash" option on my wife's T21 Thinkpad because of a similar problem, and it's worked so far.

Comment

1) I have Mx440 but i haven't installed any driver so far.
      2) I will try that just, how do i access /boot/grub/menu.lst ?
      I am sorry but i am newbie in this. I apriciate any help

Comment

Well this second idea worked. I accessed /boot/grub/main.lst true partition magic and copied to C: then edited and moved back to /boot/grub/. My Kubuntu worked, but i got only console. I logged in and still i have console. How to start my KDE desktop ?

Comment

login as your normal user..then at the prompt just type startx then ENTER
          this will start the xserver and should start KDE

Comment

Originally posted by pross
            login as your normal user..then at the prompt just type startx then ENTER
            this will start the xserver and should start KDE
            Thank you and i have tried but first i got error that it cannot connect to Xserver, because that process isn't started. I tried again with sudo and got this command:

lampir@LaMpiR:~$ sudo startx
            xauth: creating new autohority file /home/lampir/.serverauth.4563
            xauth: error in locking authority file /home/lampir/.Xauthority

Comment

Actually i search around the forum litle and found something. I first discovered that x-server-xorg is broken so i downloaded and installed new one. Then i ran dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg and adjustedet everything and i works fine now

Comment

I have same problem like LaMpiR, today after updating to newest kernel, kubuntu loading stops just before nvidia logo screen! I tried previous kernel build and it works! What is the problem?

Comment

My problem was in xserver. try what i did, maybe kubuntu doesn't suport you graphic card

Comment

I tried to reconfigure Xserver but problem persists. I think that problem is in the new kernel 2.6.15-26-386 because my old kernel 2.6.15-25-386 works without problems.

Comment

No, i had the same problem then i downloaded new xserver-xorg.
                      i think it was
                      sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg

Comment

Same problem here as well. Booting previous kernels work fine though. >

Comment

Originally posted by davebgimp
                          Same problem here as well. Booting previous kernels work fine though.  >
                          For me it didn't work because xserver was broken or not configured preporly. I used advice from this post
                          http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...15025#msg15025
                          then my monitor would go off soon as i start it but i have reconfigured xserver again and have chosen nv instead of vesa and it worked fine after that

Comment

I'm happy too say that using Adept to remove the 2.6.15-26 kernel, along with the corresponding linux-restricted-modules and then reinstalling both has completely fixed the problem!

Comment

Working...
                            X