This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Skype to work on Dapper 64 bit

I haven't visited the forum lately so if there are better options to do this let me know and apologize my posting. I had read many options in the past on how to do this and many involved forcing installations which I don't favor much.

So after some figuring out here is my solution:
    you need the following libraries in 32 bit version:
    libasound.so.2
    libXcursor.so.1
    libXfixes.so.3
    libXft.so.2
    I got them from another Kub-32 installation I have on my machine.
    For those who don't know this already, these libraries usually have different versions like "libXft.so.2.1.2" and what one does is to create a link named "libXft.so.2" which points to the actual file in our case: "libXft.so.2.1.2"

All these files need to go in the /usr/lib32 directory and u need root permission to do so.
    copying these files should not interfere with the normal functioning of your machine AFAIK. There are more files in that dir which are duplicate of the 64 bit version located in usr/lib

After doing this just download and extract Skype "static binary with QT compiled in". (I thing the new beta version works better).
    Note that u will have to type the command skype including the exact path where you extracted it for ex: /home/yourname/skype/skype.
    You can also create a menu item in the KDE start menu.

It appears that skype knows to look into the usr/lib32 directory without further settings.

If anyone knows a better way to get Skype working pls let me know.

Metricus

Re: Getting Skype to work on Dapper 64 bit

Well i found a slightly better way mostly for those who don't have available 32 bit libraries.

Libasound has in fact a package that can be easily installed goto:
    ftp://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/a/alsa-lib

and in the list look for lib32asound2...deb get the one matching the version installed on your computer, download it and then rightclick on it in Konqueror file browser and choose Kubuntu Package Menu >Install Package. That's it.

the other libX files can be found at:
    ftp://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/libx

With these however you have to get the i386 version download it and then extract the archive with Ark extract again the data.tar.gz archive and then find the libs in usr/lib directory. extract the files somewhere and then copy them to the !!!! usr/lib32 directory.
    NOTE: also get the version matching the one on your computer.

There...

Comment

Working...
    X