Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No sound and/or movie - Missing codecs??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No sound and/or movie - Missing codecs??

Hi,

I installed Dapper yesterday and I'm having a hard time to get my multimedia running properly.

I have kaffeine, kmplayer, amarok installed. Kaffeine is able to play some video files (most of them with sound and no picture or vice versa). amarok doesn't play any mp3s at all...

I have the win32codecs installed. What else am I doing wrong? Which files do I have to install to get me running?

Here some data I got from the command line:
    $ cat /proc/asound/cards
    0 [ICH5 ]: ICH4 - Intel ICH5
    Intel ICH5 with ALC203 at 0xd0000c00, irq 193

$ lspci
    0000:00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
    0000:00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 02)

Cheers
    Jonny

Re: No sound and/or movie - Missing codecs??

I'm having the same trouble with amaroK -- no sound whatsoever. 

I've installed VLC, and I use it instead of kaffeine because it's not only less buggy but it will play DVD's with any region-code.  You might also want to try reinstalling w32codecs.  (I'm assuming that you have universe repository enabled in /etc/apt/sources.list)

In the command-line, try:

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall w32codecs vlc

Comment

Try this (I was able to get everything working with it)

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Dapper

john

Comment

I think you need to install libxine-extracodecs from the multiverse repository, since the w32codecs are for Windows Media and Real Media, AFAIK.
        Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Thanks all for your great help. I got the sound now working properly after I installed the libxine-extracodecs.

Now I have another problem: Movies in original size appear normal. If I enlarge them (to fullsize) the picture becomes shaky and horizontal lines appear. What is the problem now?

I have the libxine-extracodecs and w32codecs installed (if it matters).

Cheers
          Jonny

Comment

Working...
          X