This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu has slowly died on my PC

I hope that somebody can help me out with this, but it is a little non-specific.

I've had Kubuntu installed since the last flight of Dapper Beta, and installed all of the upgrades since then via the Adept Update Manager (or whatever it's called). From the outset it has been somewhat unstable and I've had to pkill Firefox, in particular, almost every session.

The end appears to have arrived as the instability has built up and up until, just now, I've found that I can't get past the logon screen. When I put in my password the screen goes blank, then returns to the logon screen again. I've rebooted, but it's no good.

I'm sure that I can recover my data with the live CD or Knoppix, but it would be nice to have some help with the more general issue. Any ideas? Of course a complete reinstall might help, but it shouldn't really be necessary should it? I installed Kubuntu onto a 10Gb clean partition, with a 2Gb swap (I have 512Mb RAM), next to my XP partition and a FAT32 partition for Kubuntu/XP file exchanging.

I'm running a Pentium 4 530 on an Abit AG8 3rd Eye motherboard, with a 120GB Seagate Barracuda SATA and an Asus Radeon X600XT/TD 128MB PCI-E. I've used Ubuntu on and off since Breezy on this computer, but this is my first sustained effort with Kubuntu (which I love, other than the instability).

Any ideas gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

Re: Kubuntu has slowly died on my PC

It sounds like a problem with your video driver.  If so, there are two options:

1. Install the generic driver:
    sudo apt-get install xorg-driver-fglrx

Or, should that fail because it's already installed:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall xorg-driver-fglrx

After that, edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf  Look for a line that lists either the "ati" or "radeon" driver:

Driver      "ati"

Replace that with:
    Driver      "fglrx"

2. Alternately, you would have to install a proprietary ATI driver.   I'm not an expert on that topic (I have an nVidia card, myself) but see if
    http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/linux_8.25.18.html
    would help.  I also recommend buying "Ubuntu Hacks" -- it's been a big help to me!

Comment

Check out my post in the install/boot forum;

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=7365.0

almost identical!

D.

Comment

OK, I fixed it (for now??)!

Here's what I did;

boot into console mode and type;

Code:
        sudo apt-get install xorg-driver-fglrx
        and install the generic driver.

Open the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf to edit with the following command;

Code:
        sudo vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf
        scroll down to the part that has driver "ati" and press insert and replace with "fglrx"

Press :w to write the changes and then :q to quit.

Reboot and all should be well. (I've not tried a second reboot yet, cause I'm too scared!!).

Major thanks to proteus71 for pointing me in the right direction with the very helpfull advice posted above, as I've only been a Linux user for around a week and all this help is really bringing my learning on!!

D.

Comment

Working...
        X