This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KWeather services for other countries?

Is it possible to get weather services for other countries to be displayed in KWeather?

There's no entry for my location (Philippines)
    Jucato's Data Core

Re: KWeather services for other countries?

Right click on the panel. Install Kweather. Right click on Kweather, click on "Configure Kweather". There are a large number of countries to choose from, but the Phillipines is not one of them. However, using "help: kweather" in konq brings up a classically uninformative help file that mentions installing airport weather stations by their ICAO codes. Unfortunately, it doesn't say how to do that. So the easy part is finding the ICAO code for the nearest airport to your location (just look it up). The hard part is inserting that code into Kweather. Then, you can use kweather from the panel or it can communicate with other KDE apps in the usual manner (barring any inconsistencies in the interface, of course).

Comment

Re: KWeather services for other countries?

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. The help file was not very helpful at all. It seems that KWeather doesn't provide a frontend to add weather services. I had to do it manually.

Here's how I did it, for future reference.

1. Look up the ICAO code for the nearest airport: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_by_ICAO_code (thank you Wikipedia!!)

2. "Edit as root" /usr/share/apps/kweatherservice/weather_stations.desktop in Kate (or KWrite or Kedit).

3. The [Main] section of the file lists the different "areas", 2-letter codes for different areas in the world, like US for the United States, CA for Canada, AS for Asia, etc. Look for the appropriate area for the country you wish to add. In my case, it was [AS] for Asia.

4. In [AS], the states= line lists the different countries (or states) within a region. It also uses a 2-letter code. The 2-letter code would correspond to the first 2 letters of the ICAO code that you looked for. In my case, it was RP.

5. Since the Philippines didn't have its own entry, I had to make one up. the general format of a new entry is

[area_code_state_code]
      name=country_name
      locN=city_name ICAO_code ------ ---
      Where:
      N = an index number, starting from 0, so that the first location would be loc0, followed by loc1, etc. (each country can have more than one ICAO entry)
      city_name = is the name of the city where the airport is found
      ICAO_code = (see the link I gave)
      ------- --- = i don't know what these 2 entries mean.

So in my case, the entry for the Ninoy Aquino Internation Airport in Manila, Philippines was:

[AS_RP]
      name=Philippines
      loc0=Manila RPLL ------ ---
      6. Save it up, and launch KWeather (applet or PIM component).

That's how "easy" it was...
      Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Working...
      X