X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is Kubuntu so Bad with Multimedia?

Hi

I have been struggling with kubuntu for some time now trying to make it do some things like:

Upload video from my digital camcorder. Kino will do this (and convert the DVD to MPeg) but only so long as I am root

Burn a DVD from the resulting mpeg. Not a prayer - qdvdauthor and anything that depends on it seemed to be useless. Resorted to Windows for that job.

Burn a CD. K3b will only do this as root. Perversely, a DvD burns fine as user.

Rip an MP3 from a CD. This is a laugh. So long as I run kaudiocreator (KDE 3.5.3) as root, I can succeed about 20% of the time. the other 80% I get failures due to an inabilty to "find the Cdaudio protocol". Running as user, it rips the track OK but then aborts at the start of converting to MP3 because of an inability to create directory. I am trying to save to the Home directory.

Now, I was tempted to move from Mandriva to Kubuntu because of its alleged "user-friendliness". I am seriously calling that into question that statement given the aggro I am having doing things that I was able to do in Mandriva without issue. I don't find Kubuntu user-friendly at all (I've been using Linux for over 2 years BTW). Stuff like this cannot help the distros reputation with new users at all.

Does anyone share my view on this. Specifically has anyone encountered the MP3 ripping issue and come up with a workaround?

Thanks

Ian

Re: Why is Kubuntu so Bad with Multimedia?

Sorry - can't answer most of your questions - regarding ripping CD's - I'm a big fan of Grip (with K3B doing the burning) - I never use anything else - That means I never ever use Nero which I have on my XP Partition because Linux is better

I would recommend you try Grip

Comment

Thanks for that

Just tried grip. Success 1st time, so it looks like a kaudiocreator issue.

My faith is getting renewed.

Ian

Comment

While i have not had any issues with either kaudiocreator or k3b as user, I wonder if there is file permission problem in your home directory.
        Are you trying to save in /home, or in /home/<your-username> ? You won't have write access to /home, but will to /home/<your-username>.

I remember having a similar issue once or twice a long time back (pre-Ubuntu, and pre-kde3). I had to solve this by running a command in a terminal window:

Code:
        sudo chown -Rv <insert your username> /home/<your-username>
        that makes every file in your home owned by that user

As for Kino, the firewire (ieee1394) susbsytem (raw1394) it uses to connect to the camcorder is the same as that used by external firewire disk drives and cd/dvdroms, and unfortunately it is seen as insecure/unsafe to allow user ownership to this. It is, however really easy to fix:
        Simply go to System Settings, then Users and Groups, and once in admin mode, select your user, then click "modify", and then click on "secondary groups" and add "disk" I think though that this will give that user non-sudo access to disk tools which is what makes it unsafe.

For a better method, you can edit the file /etc/udev/rules.d/40.permissions.rules so that the line
        KERNEL=="raw1394", GROUP="disk"
        reads
        KERNEL=="raw1394", GROUP="video"
        That way only firewire devices will have these permissions.

Edgy will have the latest firewire libs, which I hope may remove the need for root permissions as it looks to have a new library specific to video cameras with the ability to even write back to your camera

I have only ever used kino once to create a dvd export, I used the dvpipe option in the export section, and used the dual pass ffmpeg selection, and the profile "standard dvd directory" You will need ffmpeg installed for this, and k3b had no trouble burning this

Comment

For taking movies and burning them to a dvd check out this thread, its a really easy tutorial:
          http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthre...ht=convert+dvd

Basically just install tovid with its dependencies, then copy the bash scrip that he wrote that turns tovid's output into a dvd iso and then use k3b to turn this iso into a dvd. He explains a litte better
          Oh and tovid works for more than .avi acording to this thread:
          http://www.createphpbb.com/tovid/vie...2&mforum=tovid

Comment

add this to the etc/apt/sources list

deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org/ sarge main

then in a konsole write
            sudo apt-get update

Comment

Just a suggestion: //www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=223087&highlight=automatix+kubunt u

Comment

Wow! Thanks for all the help friends.

I am away for 2 weeks now on holiday. Will have lots of camcorder footage so I'll try out the tips on that when I get back.

Ian

Comment

OK. I have tried Tovid. Everything "seemed" to be OK until I came to burn the DVD, which resulted in the looping error message WARN: Skipping sector, waiting for first VOBU...
                  WARN: Skipping sector, waiting for first VOBU...
                  WARN: Skipping sector, waiting for first VOBU.
                  etc. etc.etc.......ad infinitum

I have seen this message before, when attempting to do the job with qdvdauthor and kdvd authoring wizard. Is there any hope that it will ever work?

BTW the terminal message was

The following command returned an exit status of 1:
                  makedvd -device /dev/dvdrw -author /tmp/Camcorder1.xml
                  Please report this bug on the tovid forum or IRC channel:

Could it be that it is simply not finding the dvdwriter?

Ian

Comment

I just used kino and dvdauthor yesterday to capture, edit and make an mpeg movie and iso image to burn to dvd. First time ever. Have not burned it yet as I don't have dvdrw. I followed the help file in kino to do it. I used automatix to install all the multimedia codecs and editing software. Only one prob. so far. I can't get audio when I play the file with any video app.

Charlie
                    I tried Enlightenment once, it was pretty cool.

Comment

cant' burn a disk stilllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll , about to run with all file permissions set for ALL files just to burn a damned cd. Cdrecord doesn't workkkkkkkk gaH! I assume its working for some people but jesus, i've run k3b and baker as every user possible with every permission possible and theres no way for me to burn a disk. HELP

Comment

try a burning program called "graveman"
                        it has worked for me in the past when others have failed ...

Comment

Working...
                        X