X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power management and screensaver freezes computer

Hi folks,

I recently built a desktop and installed Kubuntu. I really like it, although I get frustrated with the "sudo" stuff. I have two questions:

1. Does kubuntu support any sort of stanby power management feature. I noticed it supports for a couple of laptops but how about desktops?

2. Maybe this is not the right forum but when testing screensavers, such as "gadgets and simulators", my box crashes/freezes and I have to cold-boot it. My card is an Asus/NVidia GE6200.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Power management and screensaver freezes computer

Originally posted by edisav
    Hi folks,

I recently built a desktop and installed Kubuntu. I really like it, although I get frustrated with the "sudo" stuff. I have two questions:

1. Does kubuntu support any sort of stanby power management feature. I noticed it supports for a couple of laptops but how about desktops?

2. Maybe this is not the right forum but when testing screensavers, such as "gadgets and simulators", my box crashes/freezes and I have to cold-boot it. My card is an Asus/NVidia GE6200.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Yes I believe that there is powersaving stuff for normal desktop PC's though you'd probably have to dig through the personal settings to find it - it might be in KDE, rather than in the actual OS though.

As for the screensaver thing, I'm presuming that if your install is very recent, then when you've applied any updates, it's got to kde 3.5.3 - which does have a bug in the screensaver i.e. it seems to setup ok, but it doesn't actually start as you've set it. That, I believe has been sorted by KDE in their packages directly - but hasn't filtered down to the distro. Someone did post a couple of possible fixes here at the Kubuntu forums, but I didn't manage to get them to work successfully, so as it seems to put my monitor to sleep, I'm gonna leave that for the moment.

You say that you have an Asus/Nvidia GE 6200? have you checked about installing the nvidia driver?

If not, then have a look at both easyUbuntu or Automatix (I prefer the easyUbuntu) for an easy way to set up your system so that it has the latest version installed (via Kubuntu as opposed to getting it directly from nvidia.com). It's reasonably straight forward and might have other benefits as well.

regards

fatbloke
    What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away! Tom Waits.

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke
      As for the screensaver thing, I'm presuming that if your install is very recent, then when you've applied any updates, it's got to kde 3.5.3 - which does have a bug in the screensaver i.e. it seems to setup ok, but it doesn't actually start as you've set it. That, I believe has been sorted by KDE in their packages directly - but hasn't filtered down to the distro.
      There is a kubuntu repository for KDE 3.5.4, but don't upgrade until it's announced (Just wanted to let you know you probably don't have to wait long :P)

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
        There is a kubuntu repository for KDE 3.5.4, but don't upgrade until it's announced (Just wanted to let you know you probably don't have to wait long :P)
        Ooo! Ta very much, that means it should be appearing on my taskbar as an update in the near future.

Again, TVM for the info.

regards

fatbloke
        What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away! Tom Waits.

Comment

Working...
        X