This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

playing WMA files

I have enabled read-write access to my windows partition and tried playing some of the wma files that I had burned off of some cd's but none of the utilities included with Kubuntu will play them.

Re: playing WMA files

You need to install the w32codecs in order to play Windows Media. Here are the instructions:

1. Go to this website:
    http://www.debian-multimedia.org/pool/main/w/w32codecs/

2. Download this file somewhere in your home folder: w32codecs_20060611-0.0_i386.deb

3. In Konqueror, look for that file. Right-click on it and choose Kubuntu Package Menu > Install Package. It will ask you for your password and then install the .deb file.

Take note that DRM-encoded WMA/WMV won't play.

Hope that helps.
    Jucato's Data Core

Comment

hrm that didnt do anything and i know i didnt encrypted the files or nothin

Comment

Were you the one who made the WMA files? If you got them off somewhere, there might be a chance that it's DRM-encoded. When you try playing those files in Windows, does it require some sort of identification/password?

You could also try to install a package called libxine-extracodecs which can be found in the multiverse repository (you have to add/enable it). It will also allow you to play MP3s.
        Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Working...
        X