X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gnome takes over control of my keyboard from lineakd

Running Kubuntu Dapper.

I have lineakd installed to use the keys on my MS multimedia keyboard.

When I initially boot up and log in to the desktop, lineakd is started via a link in my .kde/Autostart folder and everything works fine. However, if I log out (using K button > logout) and then back in again, or if X crashes (drat Google Earth!!!) and I have to log back in, Gnome takes over control of my multimedia keys.

From then on, the calculator button tries to open gcalctool instead of kcalc, the mail key tries to open Evolution rather than Thunderbird (my default under KDE), and so on. ...lineakd is still running, but it doesn't get a look-in. The only solution I have found is a complete reboot.

I've managed to remap some of the keys using the gnome-control-center Preferred Applications module, but thats not the point, is it? If I want Gnome, I can use Ubuntu. Can anyone help me work out what is happening?

Thanks

Re: Gnome takes over control of my keyboard from lineakd

Of course, you could always uninstall gnome-desktop (or whatever) and then only install the Gnome apps that you really want.

Comment

Write a little wrapper script for .kde/Autostart instead
      Code:
      #!/bin/bash
      killall -9 lineakd 2&> /dev/null
      sleep 3
      lineakd &
      should kill any lineakds running and start a new one each time you login.

Comment

Thanks for the replies!

askrieger:
        Good idea, but unfortunately I never have installed gnome-desktop, simply some gnome applications that I wanted, eg Gnucash, plus their dependencies.

Teppic:
        This one has potential. However, I don't think I need to kill off lineakd. What I DO want to stop is the Gnome deamon/application that is taking over from it. I'll have a look to see if I can find out what that is (unless anyone knows already?)

Tim

Comment

Have you verified that you are using kdm as your login manager? Check the file /etc/X11/default-display-manager. If it's "/usr/sbin/gdm", change it to "/usr/bin/kdm". If it's already kdm, that's not your problem.

Comment

Yep, definitely kdm.

I've not noticed any other Gnomish behaviour occurring, simply the keyboard mapping issue.

Comment

Working...
            X