This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XGL+Compiz on Kubuntu?

Hi, I just know this is possible, but i couldn't manage to make it work. Is there any easy-to-understand guide to install this eye-candy?

BTW, the problem i get is as follows:
    I have installed XGL as another independent desktop (just like KDE and safe mode, i have XGL). But when i make it run, mess starts. At the beggining, it makes good, it starts nicely, but when i end up in the desktop, then everything turns out madly slooooow...That means, it takes three minutes from pressing the KDE button to actually show the KDE menu!!
    And i have a proper radeon driver working...In normal KDE (non-xgl) desktop, i get any opengl acceleration i need, for whatever the game i run. No problem at all. Also the screensavers run on OpenGL. Even the videos. But if i try XGL desktop, then everything goes like hell
    Well, any help or clue will be welcome! Thanks!

Re: XGL+Compiz on Kubuntu?

I have it working good on my Ati Radeon 9600XT 128
    checkout http://www.compiz.net for install directions and other tips

Do you have the composite option turned on in your xorg.conf?
    I have found it to not work well with XGL.

Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

I had probably the same problem as you but could safe it with using compiz-gnome instead of compiz-kde. Try that - I know you have to install a lot with it but that solved the problem for me. YOu can also solve the windeco problem by using cgwd and cgwd-themes package. But remember to create a script which is killin the default windeco at startup.

Comment

i was able to get XGL running but when i turned on Compiz, everything went haywire.

Comment

Originally posted by otisklt
          I have it working good on my Ati Radeon 9600XT 128
          checkout http://www.compiz.net for install directions and other tips

Do you have the composite option turned on in your xorg.conf?
          I have found it to not work well with XGL.

Hi... i didn't notice you wrote... Well i don't have composite nor anything running yet on XGL, since the whole XGL is slow as the hell...

Comment

You're gonna LOVE this. I know I did.

Just add the automatix repository and GPG key:

http://getautomatix.com/wiki/index.p...tion&Itemid=38

then open up a terminal and install the testing version by typing "sudo apt-get install automatixbleeder" into the terminal.

Then open Automatixbleeder from your KDE menu, click on compiz, and let it do its thing!

Remember: this is a testing version, so be careful.

Comment

Working...
            X