This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whereis make???

Hi all - have been looking about and this seems to be a common query with Kubuntu 6.06 LTS.

Trying to install software/drivers/modules from source using "make" command. Now my experience with make is that you need the gcc*.., cpp*.. packages. Many resources in this forum suggest installing package "build-essential". This is already installed when I view this in System > Adept (package manager). But the "whereis make" shows that make is not recognised/not installed.

I have upgraded from Ubuntu 5.10 where I simply installed the gcc*.., cpp*.. packages and built from source.

Any solutions on this doozie?

Re: whereis make

'build-essential' meta-package depends on make, so unless you have broken dependencies 'make' package should be installed (you can check whether it is)

make-binary should be in /usr/bin/make when installed.

You can try reinstalling 'build-essential' (or 'make' if you prefer)

Comment

Try:

apt-get install make

You probably also want gcc.

You may need to enable additional repositories by uncomenting the two lines that end with "universe" in /etc/apt/sources.list. Also add "multiverse" after those two lines.

Dudley C.

Comment

Everything that's needed to simply compile from source is in the main repositories. There was probably a problem in installing make. Requesting build-essential to be reinstalled again would make sure that whatever was left out would be installed.
        Jucato's Data Core

Comment

I had a similar problem (mind you, it took a lot of surfing to figure out that the problem was that perl didn't know where make was). I solved it by going to my .cpan directory, which (for me, and probably for you) was in /home/algorhythm/.cpan/CPAN, and editing the file MyConfig.pm. So
          Code:
          algorhythm@computer:~/ sudo nano /home/algorhythm/.cpan/CPAN/MyConfig.pm
          the first line of this doc is:
          Code:
          $CPAN::Config = {
          if you look down, and you see that one of the lines is
          Code:
          'make' => q[],
          then you need to change it to
          Code:
          'make' => q[/usr/bin/make],
          or wherever "make" is in your system.

Comment

I have the same problem. Fresh install, so nothing has been moved around.

First, I have to question algorhythm: Why would you say that the .cpan folder is under your /home/algorhythm directory? Your's may be, but "probably for you" would assume that dh2K (who posted this in the first place) has decided to save this file in the exact location as you have. This file does not come with Kubuntu 6.06

As for the repositories... I have uncommented all of them and still no results.

Does anyone have a solid answer for this?

Comment

Ok, my apologies, maybe the .cpan directory is not there, i don't know (go easy on me, please note mynewbie status). I thought it would be for some reason; I think because I installed cpan or whatever puts those folders where they are with Adept, i.e. I did not really control their location. (although I don't remember this bit: a search for cpan in Adept does not bring up anything that looks familiar).

However, it may still be worth having a look for the cpan MyConfig.pm file; KMenu > Find Files/Folders, search for name "MyConfig.pm" in all folders ("/"). (Or from console,
              Code:
              locate MyConfig.pm
              )

Comment

Working...
              X