This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help in trouble.

I updated my kubuntu for the first time and it went great but when I rebooted it show a black screen with the kubuntu logo on it.It will only allow me to reboot with ctrl,alt,del.

The only thing I put on it were the nvidia glx drivers and they work great and would let me reboot.What is the problem?

*update*
    Ahhhhh I had to reformat but it was the drivers.I guess you should do your first update before putting anything on it.

Re: need help in trouble.

Um... you didn't need to reformat. I guess the answer is a bit too late. But you might encounter that same problem everytime you upgrade your kernel (the linux-image-... versions).

You see, when you install nvidia-glx, you need a package called linux-restricted-modules-xxxxxx for the nvidia drivers to work. Now, this linux-restricted-modules is also related to the linux kernel that you are using. Meaning that when you upgrade your kernel (linux-image), you also need to upgrade the appropriate restricted modules. For example, you are using linux-image-2.6.15-23-386. You installed nvidia-glx together with linux-restricted-modules-2.6.15-23-286. Now, when you upgrade the kernel to the latest version, which is linux-image-2.6.15-26-386, you also have to make sure that the linux-restricted-modules is upgraded to the corresponding version (linux-restricted-modules-2.6.15-26-386). Otherwise, you'll end up with that black screen.

This upgrade isn't done automatically unless you install a metapackage named linux-XXXX (substitute XXXX for your computer's processor/architecture type: 386, 486, 586, 686, k7, etc). That metapackage will make sure that whenever future upgrades are available, everything related to the linux kernel will also be upgraded.

Oh, and whenever you upgrade a kernel and run into some problems with the new kernel version, you can always still boot in to the older kernel version, which is not removed unless you uninstall it yourself.
    Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Re: need help in trouble.

If you gt stuck at that kubuntu logo, X isn't loading --- try Cntrl-Alt-F1 to drop you to a shell.
      From there you can log in and fix things, like the metapackages you need to install and you can edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file
      Dont pretend you havent noticed my cardboard box, Julia, because I know you have!

Comment

Working...
      X