This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mpeg and mp3 sound help

I have kubuntu installed on a compaq 1277 notebook. When i try to play mpeg or mp3's i hear no sound. But when i start it up or shut it down i hear music play basicly i have the system sounds working. Just need help getting sound to hear mpeg or mp3's to work. well thanks for any help i do get. I am somewhat new to linux's.

Re: mpeg and mp3 sound help

I think your issue is that you are missing some files, basically codecs that are proprietory so they can't be made generally available with the distro.

You need to install extra repositories in the adept package manager. One way of doing that is to get easy unbuntu (search the forum for more info) which installs a number of them. You can then enable them in adept and then download them.

Are you in any way familiar with the command line? If so you could try this link:
    http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/sources.php

Hope this helps

Good Luck!

Ian

Comment

Will i have the plugin installed. When i play a mpeg video i see the video but have no sound and mp3's take about 2 seconds to play. The seek bar will jump to the middle then end and i will get playlist finsh. Thay play with no sound too. So i guess kubuntu hates mpeg and mp3's files or the playes hate them.

Comment

What applications are you using to play them with?

What Engine is your (say) MP3 player using? Assuming Amarok, choose settings / configure amarok/engine. Mine selects the Xine engine. Mpegs, MP3s DVDs aren't a problem for me. I am aware of problems using the arts engine.

Did you install the additional repositories to which I referred as you need to have these if you want to get MP3 support.

That help at all?

Comment

Well for video play i use Kaffeine and it uses Xine engine and for mp3's i use Amarok Xine engine also. With kaffeine the mpeg video plays but there will be no sound. Amarok when you play a mp3 the seek bar will jump to the middle then end and i get playlist finsh. I download and installed those repositories like i was told. Amarok won't even play online audio like online radio. It show it's playing it i just don't hear anything. The sound is turn up. It's like something isn't letting those players use my sound card. Well i hope i told you enough that will help you. Thank for the help i am getting.

Comment

Ah! Silly me!

I read elsewhere the following:

You need libxine-extracodecs package from the multiverse component of the Ubuntu repository to have MP3 playback.

If you launch adept you will find that the multiverse directory is not enabled by default. Enable multiverse and you will be able to install the package, which should resolve your problem.

Ian

Comment

Well i enabled the multiverse component. I even installed everything i needed to but i still don't hear sound in my mpeg and my seek bar that show where the mp3 it still jumps to the middle then end and i get playlist finsh. I can play wave and ogg files ok. My xmms player will play will play mp3's and online radio just fine. But amarok won't play anything and kaffeine will play mpeg but theres no sound. but at lease i got some where i guess. I starting to think kaffeine and Amarok just don't like my sound card. I got a sound blaster 4.1. But the driver linux is useing is ES1371 and the mixer is sigmatel stac9708,11. You would think it would use sound blaster 4.1 mixer and driver. Well thank for the help.

Comment

Working...
              X