This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help Fixing Display.

I recently downloaded Kubuntu Dapper Drake. I loved it, but due to a series of problems I may have to reinstall yet again if I do not get some help.

Yesterday, I rebooted into Kubuntu after doing some updates through Adept, only to find the resolution at 640x480. I tried to change it through the Display settings in the System area, but it was locked at 640x480. I tried the Ubuntu forums and found a thread by a user with the same problem. (link: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=188542). However, he was using Ubuntu Dapper Drake and his hardware settings were very different. Still, I thought that by using the information in the thread and doing the necessary changes (ex. replacing gdm with kdm & putting in nv for my card driver), I could get my display back to normal.
    Three hours later, at 2:33 AM, I am stuck in the terminal and unable to re-enter the desktop because my settings are so screwed up. Every time I retry xserver-xorg, I find myself trying various options, yet still having the same result. It got to the point where xserver-xorg (Ubuntu Configuration) began to glitch up (unable to erase the first character & double numbers (ex. 24-->224). Worse, I can't even start X Windows. So what I would like to know is:
    a. How can I fix my settings in xserver-xorg to get everything back to normal?
    b. In the event that doesn't work, how can I edit xorg.conf manually to get the proper resolutions and to enter the right name of my monitor (Instead of 'Generic Monitor) and hopefully set everything right?
    I'm pretty new to this stuff, but I'm willing to learn and listen.

System Settings:
    Processor: AMD Sempron 3100+(1.89 Ghz)
    Video Card: Nvidia Geforce 4 Ti (128 MB)
    Available Memory: 1 GB
    Monitor: Hitachi SuperScan Elite 751 (max. resolution: 1600x1200 @ 75Hz; resolution prior to reboot: 1024x768 @ 60 Hz)

I really like Kubuntu and with the good experiences I've had overall, I really don't want to have to reinstall for the 5th time.

Re: Need Help Fixing Display.

Well - sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg should work.

If not, you could edit xorg.conf (it's just text file):

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

nano is a small, free and friendly editor, works in the text mode.

Generic monitor should work fine. Just put HorizSync and VertRefresh to the right values. When you have xserver up you can finetune names etc. Remenber backup before tuning !

http://www.makeitsimple.com/reviews/hitachi_751/ says 31 -93.75 and 50-160. Check before use !

I have old Nokia monitor but my settings says Generic monitor. I just dropped correct values.

Example:
    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Generic Monitor"
    Option "DPMS"
    HorizSync 30-64
    VertRefresh 48-100
    EndSection

Next check Section "Screen"

There should be something like this:

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Device "ATI Technologies, Inc. Radeon 9600 XT (RV350 AR)"
    Monitor "Generic Monitor"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 1
    Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 4

continues...
    You, off course have Nvidia.

Hope this helps.

Hmm - afterthough
    Your ubuntu link says same things but i have not stopped/startted xserver (For kde it's kdm not gdm). I just reboot.
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Hi xorg.config file often creates backups of itself if it has they will be numbered from 0 for the original upwards to the present if you wish to restore one of these use this code.

sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bad
      sudo cp /etc/x11/xorg.config.N(N being the number suffix you wish to restore) /etc/xorg,config

Hopefully this will get you back to a limited graphical loggin.I have not got a link for you as I run ATI graphics but if you search K/Ubuntu documentation you will find instructions for installing the latest Nvideo driver and I suspect that this will cure your resolution problems.

What ever gets you through the night John

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131
        Well - sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg should work.

If not, you could edit xorg.conf (it's just text file):

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

nano is a small, free and friendly editor, works in the text mode.

Generic monitor should work fine. Just put HorizSync and VertRefresh to the right values. When you have xserver up you can finetune names etc. Remenber backup before tuning !

http://www.makeitsimple.com/reviews/hitachi_751/ says 31 -93.75 and 50-160. Check before use !

I have old Nokia monitor but my settings says Generic monitor. I just dropped correct values.

Example:
        Section "Monitor"
        Identifier "Generic Monitor"
        Option "DPMS"
        HorizSync 30-64
        VertRefresh 48-100
        EndSection

Next check Section "Screen"

There should be something like this:

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Default Screen"
        Device "ATI Technologies, Inc. Radeon 9600 XT (RV350 AR)"
        Monitor "Generic Monitor"
        DefaultDepth 24
        SubSection "Display"
        Depth 1
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
        Depth 4

continues...
        You, off course have Nvidia.

Hope this helps.

Hmm - afterthough
        Your ubuntu link says same things but i have not stopped/startted xserver (For kde it's kdm not gdm). I just reboot.
        Thanks for the help, but two questions:
        a. How do I save the changes?
        and
        b. What command do I type to restart the computer?

Comment

via the control centre click display
          then click at the bottom administer mode

then click for the monitor & graphics change
          view the options available and then set them to your required hardware ...

Comment

In nano to save ctrl+o ( letter o ) and it prompts for name

command line to restart : sudo shutdown -r now
            Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

I tried editing the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, but when I tried to boot into Kubuntu after restarting, it locked up and it would not even take me to the login screen. I suspect it's because when I tried to use xserver-xorg, I turned on all of the modules and changed it from the default setting. What are the modules a person can turn on to get Kubuntu to login?

Note: I used the Live CD to see if there was anything wrong; Somehow, not only can I see the desktop, but the resolution is correct, yet when I try to boot into it either through recovery or normal mode, either I am brought back into text mode (type exit-> sent to login, but it's not graphical) or it loads everything, displays a brief message, then freezes before the login screen appears.

Comment

You can start with dapper CD. Choose: Start Kubuntu in safe graphic mode.

After kubuntu starts:

In konsole:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fdisk -l /dev/hdb

Disk /dev/hdb: 81.9 GB, 81964302336 bytes
                255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9964 cylinders
                Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
                /dev/hdb1 * 1 7228 58058878+ 83 Linux
                /dev/hdb2 7229 9963 21968887+ f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
                /dev/hdb5 7417 9963 20458746 b W95 FAT32
                /dev/hdb6 7229 7416 1510047 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Partition table entries are not in disk order
                Note My kubuntu is in the hdb, yours may be in the hda.

sudo mount dev/hdb1 /media
                After mounting you can edit /media/etc/X11/xorg.conf.

Note sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg backups xorg.conf files.
                example: from xorg.conf to xorg.conf.20060724102828
                (year month day hour minutes seconds)

Or you can use LiveCD's xorg.conf:

ubuntu@ubuntu:/$ sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /media/etc/X11/xorg.conf
                LiveCD uses vesa drivers and Generic Monitor.
                Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

I give up. I have tried every suggestion in this thread to no avail. Right now, I'm just going to erase the hard drive and reinstall Kubuntu. Thanks for the help, though.

Comment

I hope someone is still reading....

Upgraded this morning. After reboot computer freezes before login screen. I can see the kubuntu boot process bar but nothing happens further.

As far as I remeber I downloaded an xserver update and installed.

I tried sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg I tried to copy the xorg.conf from the life CD... I tried everythign I knew.

Now im clueless... and I need that system running asap... Please help!

KDaniel

Comment

There was a bug in the update, but it has been fixed. Try booting in recovery mode, then...

apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-core

Reboot and all should be well.

Josh

Comment

Thanks and sorry for not reading the other posts. There was some panic here... stressfull 2 hours the last two.

Kdaniel

Comment

I know exactly how you feel. I nearly wet myself when I couldn't boot. If you find similar posts, please spread the word, there are probably more than a few people panicking right now.

Josh

**update** Reinstalling isn't working for everybody, I think it has something to do with how long it takes to get the different mirrors updated with the fixed version. If it doesn't work, try backdating to old version for now with...

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-core=1:1.0.2-0ubuntu10

Comment

Working...
                          X