This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kernel upgrades/grub

OK, so if I run adept and a new kernel is listed, as I don't really follow how to use it (adept that is) the newer kernel version will get installed.

Maybe thats not so much of an issue, where I'm not sure what the hells going on, is that often during meddling, my system will get rebooted and the new kernel version will be listed at the top of the grub menu, but when it fires up, it doesn't seem to have configured itself with the nvidia driver.

So I end up having to reboot the system a number of times to see which of the apparently available kernels has got the nvidia driver configured with it.

To make things a little more confusing, my grub menu doesn't want to highlight whichever kernel has been selected. Sure it will boot any of the kernels, but I have to hit the up and down arrows i.e. if I don't want whatevers at the top of the list, hit the down arrow and count, hoping that I'll get the kernel version that I want to boot. VVV annoying.

So how do I get round all this any ideas/suggestions

regards

fatbloke
    What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away! Tom Waits.

Re: kernel upgrades/grub

Originally posted by fatbloke
    Maybe thats not so much of an issue, where I'm not sure what the hells going on, is that often during meddling, my system will get rebooted and the new kernel version will be listed at the top of the grub menu, but when it fires up, it doesn't seem to have configured itself with the nvidia driver.
    Do you use the ubuntu packaged nvidia drivers?

If so, do you have 'linux-386', 'linux-686' or 'linux-k7' meta-package installed? It will keep linux-restricted-modules up to date (restricted modules are needed with nvidia)

To make things a little more confusing, my grub menu doesn't want to highlight whichever kernel has been selected. Sure it will boot any of the kernels, but I have to hit the up and down arrows i.e. if I don't want whatevers at the top of the list, hit the down arrow and count, hoping that I'll get the kernel version that I want to boot. VVV annoying.
    Have you edited the 'color' settings in /boot/grub/menu.lst?

Comment

Hi,

my grub menu doesn't want to highlight whichever kernel has been selected.

This happens when using custom bootsphashes.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle

If so, do you have 'linux-386', 'linux-686' or 'linux-k7' meta-package installed? It will keep linux-restricted-modules up to date (restricted modules are needed with nvidia)
        Yes, (to both) as far as I can tell.
        Have you edited the 'color' settings in /boot/grub/menu.lst?
        No. The text is straight white on black.

Originally posted by caserio
        Hi,

my grub menu doesn't want to highlight whichever kernel has been selected.

This happens when using custom bootsphashes.
        As far as I can tell it's just the generic Kubuntu one that you get when you comment out the "hiddenmenu" line in the menu.lst i.e. white text on black background, with the blue kubuntu logo image on bottom right hand corner.

Some of the time, I see the bootup dialogue with the "askey art" looking debian logo at the top as well, though that might be some sort of default (guessing).

So any other advice/assistance that might point me in the right direction would be greatfully received.

regards

fatbloke

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke
          Originally posted by kubicle

Yes, (to both) as far as I can tell.
          Just to make sure, check that linux-restricted-modules-* matching your kernel version is installed (so we can close this possibility once and for all )

No. The text is straight white on black.
          Could you post your /boot/grub/menu.lst just to see if there is something fishy there?

Comment

current update >

during my meddling, I managed to kill something and couldn't log in at all (graphically that is).

I booted the install CD again and went looking for answers. which I didn't find.

Out of desperation (what with me being of a rather impatient nature), I said bollocks and hit the install icon.

As usual, I couldn't find the option to do the re-install directly to the i686 architecture, so did the install as i386, and then installed the i686 kernel.

On the way round, I seem to have recovered the highlighting of the grub menu (after commenting out the "hiddenmenu" option).

Except now, I'm trying to get the damn system booting properly i.e. it will only start graphically in recovery mode - irrespective of kernel selected. If I try the "non-recovery mode" it only wants to just return to the login dialogue box - and no desktop.

As soon as I've removed all the i386 stuff and got the nvidia driver re-installed I'll report back.

regards

fatbloke

Comment

Well I think I've got this right now it's just a case of waiting until all the mirrors are working OK. I'm just waiting to make sure that all the i386 stuff is removed and that the last of the i686 stuff is installed.

If I still have a problem, obviously I'll post back again.

regards

fatbloke

Comment

Working...
              X