Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With KPPP, I always get disconnected right when it's connected!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With KPPP, I always get disconnected right when it's connected!

I don't have any major problems with pppconfig and pon.

With KPPP, after it's done connecting, the modem hangs up and it sometimes says that the PPP daemon failed. It's complaning about a password even when I typed the right password!

Is there a fix for this. It's not because of Linux being incompatible with the ISP, because I'm posting this from Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake with pppconfig and pon right now.

I gotten the following error messages in the log:

07/21/2006 11:39:57 AM rjarrrpcgp-vf1 pppd[5087] but I couldn't find any suitable secret (password) for it to use to do so.

07/21/2006 11:38:48 AM rjarrrpcgp-vf1 pppd[5084] The remote system is required to authenticate itself

Re: With KPPP, I always get disconnected right when it's connected!

Hi,
    Setting up Kppp can be a bit of a pain. For some reason the settings of your Nic also effects its proper working. The following guide is for setting up a single PC that I have found to work. In this case your network card will be in Dynamic/Automatic/DHCP. default gateway empty, DNS empty and static hosts, nothing added by you. Once you start adding anothe PC some things will need to be changed:

Howto connect to the Internet with Kppp

Kpp is a very nice dialler, but can be a bit finicky to set up. If something small is not correctly done it fails and does not give you a very clear indication as to what happened. It could also affect you not logging in if the network card settings are incorrect. It is also important to reboot everytime a network setting was changed before testing!! If you are going to use Kppp first go to the file /etc/ppp/peers/kppp-options
    and right click on it, Actions, Edit as root. Now remove the #noauth comment to change it to noauth and save.
    Kppp uses the pppd, point to Point protocol daemon.

To use Kppp you first have to configure it properly and there are a few steps that has to be done carefully.

Configuring your modem:
    Physically install your modem and the drivers if it is a USB or internal modem. External serial port modems do not require drivers. Most modems can be configured to work on Ubuntu. Howto's and Wikki's are available.
    Open Kppp, select Configure and the Modems tab.
    Under the Device tab enter :
    Modem name: The name of your modem
    Modem device: select the device that is connected to your modem
    /dev/ttyS0 is normally a serial modem connected to com1
    /dev/modem is normally used for most internal modems as a symlink
    Flow control: Hardware [CRTSCTS]
    Line termination: CR
    Connection speed: 115200
    Uncheck Use lock file box
    Set modem timeout to max – 120seconds
    Click OK to save

Now go to the Modem tab
    Check box Wait for dial tone before dialling
    Busy wait set to 20 seconds
    Modem volume to what you prefer

Now click on Modem Commands
    In Initialisation string 2 type in the following: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D1 +FCLASS=0
    Click OK

Now click on Query Modem
    This is the most important test as it will show if Ubuntu recognises your modem on the device you specified and also confirms that the drivers have been correctly installed.
    It will spit out a list of results that it gets from the modem if it can see it. If this fails first make sure that you have pointed to the correct device, or check that the correct drivers have been installed.
    Close this

Now go to the Misc tab
    pppd timeout set to max 60 seconds
    check box Show clock on caption
    check box Disconnect on X server shutdown
    check box Minimise window on connect
    leave the others unchecked

Configuring your account:

Go to the Accounts tab and New and type in the name of your ISP
    Now click Dial and Add and enter the number you dial to connect to your ISP
    Also select PAP for Authentication and ensure that the store password box is checked.
    Click IP and check Dynamic IP address box.
    Click Gateway and check Static gateway and enter gateway IP address 192.168.0.1
    Leave Assign the default route to this gateway box checked.
    Click DNS and check box Automatic.
    Leave box Disable existing DNS servers during connection unchecked

Now close everything and open Kppp to the initial login window and check that your ISP name shows as well as your modem. Now enter your login ID and password. Check box Show log window.
    Good luck
    Regards<br />Matchless<br /><br />Proudly kubuntu!

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless
      Hi,
      Setting up Kppp can be a bit of a pain. For some reason the settings of your Nic also effects its proper working. The following guide is for setting up a single PC that I have found to work. In this case your network card will be in Dynamic/Automatic/DHCP. default gateway empty, DNS empty and static hosts, nothing added by you. Once you start adding anothe PC some things will need to be changed:

Howto connect to the Internet with Kppp

Kpp is a very nice dialler, but can be a bit finicky to set up. If something small is not correctly done it fails and does not give you a very clear indication as to what happened. It could also affect you not logging in if the network card settings are incorrect. It is also important to reboot everytime a network setting was changed before testing!! If you are going to use Kppp first go to the file /etc/ppp/peers/kppp-options
      and right click on it, Actions, Edit as root. Now remove the #noauth comment to change it to noauth and save.
      Kppp uses the pppd, point to Point protocol daemon.

To use Kppp you first have to configure it properly and there are a few steps that has to be done carefully.

Configuring your modem:
      Physically install your modem and the drivers if it is a USB or internal modem. External serial port modems do not require drivers. Most modems can be configured to work on Ubuntu. Howto's and Wikki's are available.
      Open Kppp, select Configure and the Modems tab.
      Under the Device tab enter :
      Modem name: The name of your modem
      Modem device: select the device that is connected to your modem
      /dev/ttyS0 is normally a serial modem connected to com1
      /dev/modem is normally used for most internal modems as a symlink
      Flow control: Hardware [CRTSCTS]
      Line termination: CR
      Connection speed: 115200
      Uncheck Use lock file box
      Set modem timeout to max – 120seconds
      Click OK to save

Now go to the Modem tab
      Check box Wait for dial tone before dialling
      Busy wait set to 20 seconds
      Modem volume to what you prefer

Now click on Modem Commands
      In Initialisation string 2 type in the following: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D1 +FCLASS=0
      Click OK

Now click on Query Modem
      This is the most important test as it will show if Ubuntu recognises your modem on the device you specified and also confirms that the drivers have been correctly installed.
      It will spit out a list of results that it gets from the modem if it can see it. If this fails first make sure that you have pointed to the correct device, or check that the correct drivers have been installed.
      Close this

Now go to the Misc tab
      pppd timeout set to max 60 seconds
      check box Show clock on caption
      check box Disconnect on X server shutdown
      check box Minimise window on connect
      leave the others unchecked

Configuring your account:

Go to the Accounts tab and New and type in the name of your ISP
      Now click Dial and Add and enter the number you dial to connect to your ISP
      Also select PAP for Authentication and ensure that the store password box is checked.
      Click IP and check Dynamic IP address box.
      Click Gateway and check Static gateway and enter gateway IP address 192.168.0.1
      Leave Assign the default route to this gateway box checked.
      Click DNS and check box Automatic.
      Leave box Disable existing DNS servers during connection unchecked

Now close everything and open Kppp to the initial login window and check that your ISP name shows as well as your modem. Now enter your login ID and password. Check box Show log window.
      Good luck
      I have an external serial 56k V.92 modem. So how would I configure it?

*The following options don't apply, because I don't have broadband:

NIC (56k don't use ethernet!) (it's an analog modem!)

and

static IP address. (the ISP don't have static IP addresses for 56k)

Comment

Hi,
        I may have misunderstand your last post, but yes you then will have an external modem plugged into a serial port, if its an USB modem treat as internal. Just select ttyS0 for Com1 or ttyS1 for com2 and follow the guide above. You would normally also additionally have an eth0 nic in your pc and that also needs some configuring even if it sits there connected to nothing, otherwise maybe disabling it helps.
        The above howto is not for a broadband modem connected to a nic card and in such a case you may have 2 nic cards, the second eth1 connected to your lan, other PC's.
        Hope this clarifies it a bit.
        Regards<br />Matchless<br /><br />Proudly kubuntu!

Comment

Why is is complaning about a "secret password" I just have one password!

It appears to just be making excuses to prohibit me from enjoying Kubuntu!

Code:
          but I couldn't find any suitable secret (password) for it to use to do so.

Comment

i hate kppp.

sorry this utility is also byting you in the butt right now. kubuntu should seriously fix this application and send them upstream!

did you edit the 'auth' settings in /etc/ppp ? there might be more than one. if you read the posts here:http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?board=58.0 i found a post that was helpful here:
            http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=11128.0

finally, i beg for a better dialer for kubuntu here:
            http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=11836.0

anyway, if you don't know what comment out means, it just means that the line they are talking about needs to begin with the '#' symbol to prevent kubuntu from executing that particular function.

hth

good luck to you!
            --<br />wishing you well

Comment

Yes, you need to edit the /etc/ppp file as directed above. it is a simple fix, and I don't know why this cannot be done in various distros. It was the same back when I had dialup in the kde 2.x days Way Back When...

Comment

Working...
              X