This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

startup error and nvidia drivers

Hello all, i am new to kubuntu(installed just a while ago).
    Once something went wrong , i restarted without thinking (pushed the reset button on the case). So next time i started it said the process for the system protocol died unexpectedly i just clicked OK and kde was kinda weird
    windows wouldn't have the title bars with the exit/minmize/maximize buttons and other weird things. so this was the first problem.
    The other problem is that i don't know witch drivers to choose i choosed theese
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d..._1.0-8762.html but when i ran them from console they couldn't find precompiled kernel or something even form their ftp server so i don't know what to do with the drivers and with the error message.

P.S when running from diffrent user no error message

P.P.S i have nvidia geforce 6600 gt

P.P.P.S in http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_18897.html in there they have 6600 gt so theese ar the right drivers but how can i install them?

Re: startup error and nvidia drivers

Okay, first I'm using an older ATI card so I can't vouch for any of what I'm about to type, cause the latest drivers don't support my card.

But... have you installed or is it already installed, the "nvidia-glx" package using Adept or Synaptic, (whichever package manager you are using).

If so or once done go to K Menu/System Settings/Display/
    choose Administrator mode down the bottom right of the windo and then choose the hardware tab.
    Then click on the configure button for the graphics card, the popup window tells you the detected graphics card in the bottom left and allows you to choose a driver. click ok and then test if you don't get message saying it won't work keep it.

Note: after doing this, you have problems on restarting the computer, restart in recovery mode and at the command line prompt type the following "dpkg -reconfigure xserver-xorg" (without the quotation marks) and hit enter, then follow the on screen prompts to reset your card to it's original setting and then restart normally.

I tried the same thing, only to discover the driver would not work, the recovery mode option restored the old settings.

Comment

Working...
    X