This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem playing .wmv files

I tried to play a .wmv file. Kaffeine opened but gave an error about needing wmvdmod.dll. I looked on the forums and vlc was recommended. I installed it and ran it, opened the .wmv file and vlc thought it was playing it but there was no sound or video. I then downloaded the Linux essential w32codecs from mplayer's web site, installed them and a newer wmvdmod.dll and now Kaffeine plays the file but vlc still doesn't. Is it worth trying to get vlc to work? Anybody have any suggestions as to how to do so? What are the advantages of vlc over Kaffeine?

Re: Problem playing .wmv files

Personally, I prefer kaffeine, but vlc does have the advantage of playing bin/cue vcds and .iso dvds without mounting them, but then again so does mplayer (which you may want to have, to embeded into firefox through mplayerplug-in anyway) which uses the same set of codecs as xine based players.

To be honest I have all three, kaffeine for 'normal' stuff, mplayer for web and bin/iso stuff, and vlc for broadcast streaming, though vlc rarely gets used.

Comment

The theory behind VLC is that it avoids the need for the codecs that you downloaded to make Kaffeine work. But that's theory. I would agree with the previous poster that mplayer (I use the kmplayer gui, by the way, and like it much better than mplayer on its own) and kaffeine are likely all you need.

Comment

Okay if you want to use Kaffeine you'll need the package "w32codecs" available in the PLF repository.

here's the repo addresses

# Penguin Liberation Front (packages)
        "deb ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_...lf/ubuntu/plf/ dapper free non-free"

# Penguin Liberation Front (sources)
        "deb-src ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_...lf/ubuntu/plf/ dapper free non-free"

Just copy and paste everything between the quotation marks into text box in "K Menu/System/Adept/View/Manage Repositories", then click "add", do this for both lines then click "apply"

Comment

Working...
        X