This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is

In KDE 3.5.2 on Kubuntu 6.06, there seems to be no "Look and Feel" menu. Has this been replaced by "System Settings"?

How can I like to set Opera to be my default browser instead of Konqueror? There no longer seems to be a way to set "File Associations".

It seems like the proper place to set a preferred browser would be
    System Settings > Default Applications > Web Browser
    but do not understand the dialog.

The Web Browser dialog:
    ---------------------------------
    Component Description:
    Open http and https URLs

x In an application based on the contents of the URL
    In the following browser
    longish text box here

Note that "in an application" is selected but "in the following browser" is not.

Questions:
    --------------
    Why or how does clicking on a url in Thunderbird open Konqueror?
    Where is the setting for this? Why not "in the following browser" box?
    Should I activate the "in the following browser" box and type in the path to Opera?

I'm a little afraid to mess with this until I know more <g>.

Larry

Re: Where is

I hate System Settings.

Alt-F2
    Code:
    kcontrol
    Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Aysiu thanks very much for your super fast reply.
      I would never have found it!

Indeed, alt-f2 and kcontrol brings it up.
      I hate it too.

There seems to be a lot of duplication between System Settings
      and KDE Control Center. I wonder what they are thinking?

Why the heck is there no entry on the K menu?
      I just put it there.

Larry

Comment

Because they are trying to simplify and reduce redundant settings bits. I like system settings for the most part. It still needs a bit of tweaking, though I must admit. I really hate the tree menu setup in kcontol.

file associations are found in Konqueror's settings, so that part was not added to System Settings for example. And default applications is in the same place in both kcontrol and System settings: under KDE Components, so that is a bit awkward in both. Hopefully it might be possible to rename and rearrange things a bit more in the future....

Comment

Almost every distro tries to make its own version of a control center. Some make totally new programs. Kubuntu devs, rather than building something from scratch, just repackaged the KControl modules into System Settings. They modelled it after Mac OS X's System Preferences. They also tried to reduce the apperance of redundant KControl modules like Web Behavior and File Associations. They also rearranged/regrouped the modules into what they think would be more logical groupings (I don't wholly agree on some of the groupings, though). Granted, System Settings does have its quirks and problems, but it's not as terrible as I once thought it was. I actually find myself using it more and more the past weeks. It still needs a bit of work, though.

@claydoh: you might be interested in using KControl's icon view instead of it's default tree view? (View > Mode > Icon View)

EDIT: I forgot to add that most of the "Appearance and Themes" KControl modules are found in "Appearance" in System Settings, with the exception of:
          - Background, Screensaver and Splash Screen: System Settings > Desktop
          - Launch Feedback: System Settings > Panel
          - Theme Manager: not found in System Settings (this is one thing I disliked about system settings)
          Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

I know about that, but it still is crude to me. I like system settings, havefor quite a while.

Comment

Working...
            X