This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cannot disable ctrl-alt-del

Hi -- I've been banging my head on this one for a while. I've tried to disable ctrlalt delete by editing /etc/inittab:
    Code:
    # What to do when CTRL-ALT-DEL is pressed. 
    #ca:12345:ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t1 -a -r now 
    # commenting it out didn't solve... something else must be catching it. 
    ca:12345:ctrlaltdel:/bin/echo "ctrl-alt-delete has been disabled"
    First I commented oiut the appropriate line, then when that didn't work, I substituted in a new action. Still, the three finger salute halts my machine. There must be some other place that keystroke is getting trapped... I just can't find it.

I'm running Kubuntu 6.06, kernel 2.6.15-25-386 on a Dell Latitude D600. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: cannot disable ctrl-alt-del

I know this is probably a dumb question, but did you re-read the inittab after you edited it?
    Code:
    sudo init q
    Dont pretend you havent noticed my cardboard box, Julia, because I know you have!

Comment

Unfortunately, yes. And, this is persistent behavour over the course of several months (and therefore quite a few reboots), so the fstab and inittab should have been reread quite a lot. Thanks for taking a stab...

Comment

K->System Settings->Regional&Accessibility->Keyboard shortcuts scroll down to Desktop and change log out to None?
        That would at least take care of it in kde.

Might want to also change logout w/o confirmation

FWIW, the changes to /etc/inittab you mentioned work fine on my thinkpad, and vulcan nerve pinch from the console just gives a message that it's been disabled.
        So, maybe something in the bios on your dell?

Dont pretend you havent noticed my cardboard box, Julia, because I know you have!

Comment

Double checked the keyboard shortcuts, and KDE control center swears that both logout and logout w/o confirmation are set to "None".

Thanks for the bios idea... I'll check on that next time I remember to stab the function keys madly on boot.

Comment

Working...
          X