This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

64 bit vs i686

I'm having problems with Kubuntu (see topic "programs won't start"). One of the solutions I thought of is to start using Kubuntu 64bit. I have a computer with AMD 3700+ 64 bit, 2 giga memory etc so I have the "clout". I am now using i686 with the problems described in the previous discussion. I'm not sure whether those problems are or aren't related to the i686 version. SO
    I would like to start a discussion hearing the advantages AND disadvantages of such a move. For example I read on some forum that there are applications that won't work on 64bit.
    TIA
    Errol

Re: 64 bit vs i686

Hi,

Yes it's true, you will have few things which will not work, or will not be as much up-to-date as in i686...
    For now, I'm using a 64bits version of kubuntu, because I want to take all the power from my processor For me it's really fast, compared to my other computers, maybe also because it's a X2...
    Anyway, all usual programs are here (at least for me), just flash and java plugin are missing (I guess I would be able to get java if I really would like and a guy on the forum said you can get flash also but it's little bit hard to do...)
    So maybe tell us what are your main applications...

Cheers

Comment

My main stuff is Photography and it's computer advantages. I am pretty new to Linux as a permanent user but have used many windows photo programs. I bought this computer with the specs I mentioned especially for Photographic use. Of course I use the web, mail, spreadsheets, writer etc. & moved almost entirely to using Kubuntu. Hopefully I can have a reasonable learning curve and stay with Linux. I certainly want to!!
      Errol

Comment

For all this stuff, I think you will not find differences between programs available for 64bits and i686, so why not moving to 64
        Maybe to try, you can first install a new 64bits on a separate partition and if everything goes well, you can move the main one to 64bits (I guess you will need to reinstall)

Cheers

Comment

Thanks. Will try. It'll take a while as I'm waiting for the CD with the 64 bit Kubuntu from shipit.
          Errol

Comment

Working...
          X