This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some DVDs don't play with Kaffeine/xine

I am running 6.06 LTS with the latest updates. I have a DVD I purchased from Amazon that is giving me errors. I am able to play some other DVDs, but this one gives me the following errors:

The source can't be read.

Maybe you don't have enough rights for this, or source
    doesn't contain data (e.g: no disc in drive). (/dev/dvd)

No plugin found to handle this resource (dvd:/)

Details:

xine: cannot find input plugin for MRL [dvd:/]
    xine: input plugin cannot open MRL [dvd:/]
    xine: found input plugin : DVD Navigator
    xine: cannot find input plugin for MRL [dvd:/]
    xine: input plugin cannot open MRL [dvd:/]
    xine: found input plugin : DVD Navigator
    demux_avi: invalid avi chunk "demux_avi: invalid avi chunk "demux_avi: invalid avi chunk "demux_avi: invalid avi chunk "demux_avi: invalid avi chunk "demux_avi: invalid avi chunk "demux_avi: invalid avi chunk "demux_avi: invalid avi chunk "demux_avi: invalid avi chunk "demux_avi: invalid avi chunk "demux_avi: invalid avi chunk "demux_avi: invalid avi chunk "demux_avi: invalid avi chunk "demux_avi: invalid avi chunk "demux_avi: invalid avi chunk "demux_avi: invalid avi chunk "xine: found demuxer plugin: AVI/RIFF demux plugin
    xine: found input plugin : file input plugin

The only thing visible that is unique about the DVD is that it is region-free. Any ideas appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Some DVDs don't play with Kaffeine/xine

I have the same problem wow and no responses that i can see. any how i need help here if any one can.. and i was woundering whats the best way to go about understanding linux. i must be a slow learning what i mean is i have been teaching my self linux un and off for about 4 years now and im just starting to be able to learn it. but im trying to to teach my self the system in a more throughor way (sorry for the bad spelling) it just seems im not grasping somthing or im not going about it all the right way. hence i still consider my self a newbie. also on a side note this distro is a 100x better then both mandriva and redhat or suse they all seem like copies of the same. as soon as i loaded this os i thought to my self this seems like a more pure linux like the linux distro i should have first found.

Comment

do you have the libdvdcss2 library installed ?..

Comment

no, but i was researching that and couldnt find out how to go about installing it. i kept making mistakes or somthing. i searcherd on google is there any direction you could point me to in that pursuit.

Comment

Most newbie friendly way is:
          add extra repositories and than use adept / synaptic to install libdvdcss2

Comment

You might want to try automatix for kubuntu. It's a program that will install a lot of the multimedia software (and more) that you might be interested in, including the libdvdcss files. Take a look here: http://www.getautomatix.com/ and make sure that you download the one for Kubuntu.

Comment

After you update your repositories, you might want to give VLC media player a try. It plays a wide variety of media types, and any region DVDs. If you haven't already, you might also want to get the w32codecs and libxine-extracodecs packages. They wont help much with DVDs, but they will ensure that you can play almost every kind of media.

Speaking of repositories, in addition to automatix, there's also easy ubuntu and source-o-matic. All of them work pretty well.

I've been using a repos list made by Aysiu since back in Breezy, and have yet to need a package it didn't include. If you want a copy along with easy installation instructions, they can be found here...

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/sources.php

Comment

you can also add this to the apt/sources list ...

deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org/ sarge main

then in a konsole
                sudo apt-get update

Comment

This may be an unlikely cause but its worth checking out: How old is your DVD ROM drive? Can you update the firmware for it? In my experience, firmware updates provide greater compatability with certain media.

Comment

Working...
                  X