This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

installing fax capability in Kubuntu 6.06/Open Office

I am trying to set up a fax send facility using OpenOffice 2 on Kubuntu 6.06. I've tried various methods, but none has been successful and I'm floundering. I ought to add that I'm a very green Linux newbie.
    My Googling gave me the idea that HylaFAX might be the way forward - indeed, I didn't find any other likely-looking (uncommercial) alternatives!

I first tried the Handbook: Binary Package Install at: http://www.hylafax.org/content/Handb...s_to_Ubuntu.29

I also tried 'How to set up a Debian Linux fax server' at:
    http://www.aboutdebian.com/fax.htm

Both procedures end up at the same point:

'Probing for best speed to talk to modem: 38400 19200 9600 4800 2400 1200
    Unable to deduce DTE-DCE speed; check that you are using the correct device and/or that your modem is setup properly. If all else fails, try the -s option to lock the speed.
    fred@fred-desktop:~$

I'm lost! I'm afraid I have no idea what 'try the -s option' means.

BTW, I have installed hylafax- client, hylafax-doc and hylafax-server, and checked in Adept that they are ‘installed’. I have also configured OpenOffice for fax using:

'Sending Faxes and Configuring OpenOffice.org for Faxing'.

I now have a 'Send Default Fax' icon on the OpenOffice Writer toolbar but , when I go through the procedure, I get:

'Error KDEprintFax
    Fax error: see log message for more information.'

I go to Fax>View log, and get:

'Converting input files to PostScript
    Sending fax to 0870 130 4926 (F J Brooks)

Sending to fax using: /usr/bin/sendfax -n -h '/usr/bin/sendfax -n -h %server %res -d ''F J Brooks''@number -x '''' -c %comment -f %email '/tmp/kde-fred/kprinter_6302' ' -d 'F J Brooks'@'08701304926' '/tmp/kde-fred/kprinter_6302'
    number -x -c %comment -f %email /tmp/kde-fred/kprinter_6302 : Unknown host'

I do not understand how it can say: 'Sending fax to...', then nothing happens!

Any help gratefully appreciated.

fredjb

Re: installing fax capability in Kubuntu 6.06/Open Office

have you done faxaddmodem? Have you restarted hylafax (/etc/init.d/hylafax restart) in order to enable faxgetty?

Comment

Re: installing fax capability in Kubuntu 6.06/Open Office

Thanks, volkerbradley.

Yes, I'd already done the faxaddmodem routine - that concluded with the listing of the speeds and the bit about the'-s option'.

I have an /etc/init.d/hylafax.dpkg-new and an /etc/hylafax, but not an /etc/init.d/hylafax.

fredjb

Comment

Working...
      X