This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All KDE settings disappearing

I've been using Linux for many years, and I recently switched over to Kubuntu from Debian. In general, I have been very pleased, but one thing is boggling me.

Occasionally, it appears that my ~/.kde/share/apps and ~/.kde/share/config directories may be getting deleted and rebuilt. I say "may be" because I can only observe the result. After I log out and log back in, I notice that all of my settings in Konsole, Kwrite, the panel, etc. are back to the original defaults. When I look in ~/.kde/share/apps and ~/.kde/share/config, many files that were there last time I was logged in are missing, and all files that are there have today's date.

I'm using Dapper Drake 6.06, and all updates are installed. Has anyone else run into this problem? Does anyone know why it happens and perhaps what the fix is?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: All KDE settings disappearing

Hi,

I don't have this trouble, but I guess it can be because of some rights in directory, you should check that you're able to write everywhere in your folder even in .kde, .kde/share, etc...

Cheers

Comment

Hi Sky,

Thank you for your feedback. I looked into what you said, but everything looked okay. I finally figured out what was going on (which is why it took so long for me to write this time around). The good (indeed excellent) news is that KDE is working just fine. I, sadly, was shooting myself in the foot. I had a crontab entry setup to run a script every day at 9:30, and in fact I had forgotten about the entry. When I examined the script, I saw that it was doing something incorrectly, and the outcome was to remove my settings. Ugh! >

In any event, I do appreciat your feedback.

Comment

Ok, at least it's good that you've discovered this

Cheers

Comment

Working...
        X