This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mathematica and Kubuntu

After realizing that my version of mathematica wouldn't run in a 64 bit environment, I went ahead and installed the 32 bit Kubuntu over my old one. I was honestly pretty disappointed with how few things actually ran under 64 bits... but on with my point.

I finally got MMA5.0 installed, and technically, it runs... but it opens with a dialog box full of errors, and when I pretty backspace, it adds some character that looks like a square instead of deleting a character.

Has anyone been able to get MMA5 working properly with Kubuntu6.06? I'm a bit of a linux-tard so if there is any information I can give that might help, lemme know what it is, preferably along with some instructions on how to obtain it.

Thanks

Re: Mathematica and Kubuntu

I'm not a Mathematica user (it does something to do with Maths, there my understanding of what it does ends ) but I do provide computing support to a bunch of people who use it.

The backspace producing a square is general Mathematica on Linux issue. I'm guessing you have NumLock turned on - if so try turning if off and having a look at

http://support.wolfram.com/mathemati...renumlock.html

As for the dialog box full or errors you mention, I don't know. When trying to get help with something it's always a good idea to provide the wording or error messages, (exact wording, never paraphrase error messages or their meaning may be lost, or a screenshot of what happens (KMenu > Graphics > KSnapshot). Just saying 'an error occurs' gives people no clue as to what the problem may be.

I installed Mathematica 5.2 on a Kubuntu 6.06 machine the other day just to see if there are any issues and it appears to run fine. No error messages appear when it's run anyway. I know some people can get a free upgrade to 5.2 from 5.0 so you might want to look in to that.

hth

mike

Comment

Working...
    X