X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My most annoying issues with Kubuntu

Thank you for your reply greensh,

You see this is what I often find with many Linux users. Most have already programming skills and they find it natural to go to a console and start typing all sorts of commands. Even if I do that sometimes as well, I try to avoid it first because I do not feel comfortable doing it (because I am not skilled enough and if I break something I don't know how to fix it),
    and second, because I do believe in Linux and I am convinced that if I want it to ever truly break the MS monopoly it will have to be able to work perfectly just in GUI mode. There is no way that the masses using the PC today will ever switch to command line.

Having said that, Yes, I knew that I can install the packages with CMMI but this was not my point. My point was that newer packages seem to take (much) too long to appear in the repository. I am not talking about bleeding edge here Just new releases. Twinkle 0.7.1 has been out for a long time and it is very stable and also has many new features that I am missing in the version I have on Dapper. I think that there should be more dynamism in updating these repositories and making new stuff available.
    The above should be seen as constructive criticism and nothing else.

By the same token I was talking of eventually having a system where one could downgrade if by any chance an upgrade has produced a program that has a problem.
    I see that there is a repository called "proposed". I think that this would be a great way to make newer programs available and the user may, or may not choose to use the proposed version depending if he/she wants to try-out new (less tested) packages or not. But in order to have this, Adept should be capable of reversing an upgrade.
    SUSE is a mammouth compared to Kubuntu. I just tried last week to install it again and formatted the drive after a few wasted hours. It is slow and almost impossible to manage. Kubuntu is sleek, fast and intuitive. I love this. I do miss however the fact that Yast was letting me choose WITH A CLICK which version of a certain package I want to install if different versions were available in the repositories or if I had a version in a local directory. I think Kubuntu needs the same capability and I am sure that it does not need to become a mammouth in order to do this.

And to finish I just realized today another thing. The kubuntu installer automatically installs many packages that many users may not need/use.
    Alternatively, I think that it should focus on installing the basic OS and let the user decide which other apps he/she needs. Either through the more intuitive interface of adept_installer or even in Adept package manager. This would make installation faster while allowing for diversity.
    Let's take for example Open Office: I prefer KOffice but there is no way for me to not install OO in the first place, so I have to uninstall it, then install Koffice and this is just waste of time. Not only that, but as I found today there seems to be something wrong with the OO dependencies and if one tries to remove some packages before the other it just messes up (I did not force anything) hence some more wasted time to remove OO.

Comment

Re: My most annoying issues with Kubuntu

For question 3 use Synaptic. You can visualize older versions and force one.

Comment

Working...
      X